Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

display color of parts in assembly section view

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3089 Views, 10 Replies

display color of parts in assembly section view

I have changed the colors of my parts in an assembly to stand out better. When in an assembly showing any section view the parts show the material in the cut section not the parts color. The only fix I found was to just change my materials of parts to different materials so they stand out, I want to keep my materials as they really are and just change colors to blue green etc and have the section view show the changed color. Thanks for the help

Rick
Inventor Pro 2010
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I think I found the solution to this, don't activate the part to change the color, just highlight the part at the assembly level and then go to view tab and change color. now the section view should show the new color.
Message 3 of 11
troy.eakin

good to know this.  would like to know why the color does not follow the part from the beginning all the way through the assembly.  just one more reason i'm not a fan of inventor.

good to know there are knowledgeable people that are available to supply help

Message 4 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: troy.eakin

Hi Troy,

This thread is quite old. Some of the workflows have been changed. I believe it should work the way you want. What release are you on? Could you show the exact workflow you are attempting? Or attach an example exhibiting the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 11

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Troy,

This thread is quite old. Some of the workflows have been changed. I believe it should work the way you want. What release are you on? Could you show the exact workflow you are attempting? Or attach an example exhibiting the behavior.

Many thanks!

@johnsonshiue 

I believe the workflow is to have a part(s)  in an assembly, then go to the the View tab and create a section view (such as Half Section View ) and then go to the part file and change the color... when you return to the assembly, the sectioned face of the part will not have changed color.... but if you change the color of the part (or another sectioned part) at the assembly level the sectioned plane retains that color.

This image illustrates the above, the green part is set to be green at the part level, the blue instance of the same part is set to be blue at the assembly level, and the section is created at the assembly level... if I change the green part to be red at the part level the sectioned face will stay gray, where as if I change the blue part to be red in the assembly the sectioned face will be red.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

aaa.png

Message 6 of 11

Hi Curtis,

Many thanks for clarifying! I believe this is a bug. It should work the same way regardless. I will work with the project team to understand it better and see what we can do.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 11

@Curtis_Waguespack, I don't see this happening either. 

1. Create section view in assembly.
  2. Open part, change color.
  3. Go back to assembly, note color of sectioned face.

In my case, I see the face color change to match the part color, regardless of how I changed it:

• Open part separately.
  • Edit part in assembly.
  • Override part color in assembly.

I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing differently from you that would solve the problem for @troy.eakin, if we could figure out what that is.  A setting, or something to do with View Representations, maybe?  Or maybe there's just a difference in behavior between versions (I'm still on 2018)?

Message 8 of 11

@jtylerbc  & @johnsonshiue 

Interestingly,  after John's reply I just checked this again, and noticed that if I clear all color overrides at the part level, and then apply a color (which would be a color override) then return to the assembly, the sectioned face is still gray, if I return to the part file and change the color (apply a different color override) and then return to the assembly, then the sectioned face matches the part color.

But I was also able to get it in a state that I could clear overides, and then apply the color at the part level just once and the assembly would update the sectioned color ... I'm not sure how I did that, but it seemed like a save of the assembly put it back to working as my first post described.

In any case this does seem to be working unpredictably.

Also, I was using Inventor 2020.1.1 

Message 9 of 11

Hello John, Curtis, 

I believed you are using the appearance with texture to do your workflows, right? 

Here is current behavior, 

If the body is assigned the appearance with image, the sectioned face would use the gray one. 

If the body is assigned the appearance without image, the section face would blend the body's color.  

Eg, you can remove the image from Appearance Editor dialog and edit Color in Generic panel for trying again. 

2019-10-10_10-13-18.png

Thanks,

-Rui

Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: rui_wang

Hi! The issue has been reported as INVGEN-33940.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi Folks,

Just some update here. There is an approach to get the desirable section. The key is to create a transparent image and then use it as the section bitmap. Please take a look at 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/how-can-i-make-the-section-color-match-the-part-color/...

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report