Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create independent copy of an assembly with Design Assistant (for dummies)

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
j.pavlicek
1066 Views, 17 Replies

Create independent copy of an assembly with Design Assistant (for dummies)

Hello,

I'm struggle with Design Assistant (DA) copy design. I did it before, but found it (for me) very non-intuitive.

What I need:

Copy an Assembly (Assembly1.iam) with its subassemblies (SubAssembly2.iam ÷ SubAssemblyX.iam), so I can edit them with no affect to original Assembly1.iam and its subassemblies and components.

What I tried (and achieved):

1. Actions: Open Assembly1.iam in DA, select first row, in Action column choose Copy, in Subfolder column set path to a new folder, save.
    Result: Assembly1.iam appears in the new folder. All other parts and subassemblies are linked from the original locations (any changes in these affect the original Assembly1 - obviusly.)
  2. Actions: Open Assembly1.iam in DA, select all, in Action column choose Copy, in Subfolder column set path to a new folder, save.
    Result: Error during save - Content center files cannot be moved to another location.
  3. Actions: Open Assembly1.iam in DA, select all except content center files, in Action column choose Copy, in Subfolder column set path to a new folder, save.
    Result: Error during copy because some files already exist there - all selected files are copied to the new folder, original (sub)folder structure is not preserved. This is caused mainly by bolted connections from subassemblies, they are originally stored in subfolders.

Thanks for help.

PS: I do not accept manual subfolder setting for each subassembly as solution. This is no-go for this amount of files.

Inventor 2022, Windows 10 Pro
Sorry for bad English.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
CCarreiras
in reply to: j.pavlicek

HI!

Save as -> Pack and Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFDFvT_Gxs

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
j.pavlicek
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi, thanks for reply.

I forgot to mention that I need to keep the copy in same project.

Sorry for bad English.
Message 4 of 18
Mark.Lancaster

@j.pavlicek 

Try Inventor iLogic Design Copy https://synergiscadblog.com/2014/09/23/copy-files-easily-with-ilogic-design-copy-even-without-ilogic...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 18
j.pavlicek

Also I tried to Pack&Go the assembly and copy back to project, but it gives me unexpected result.

This is my case (I'm using one flanged connection assembly for simplification):

There is FlangedConnection.iam containing 2 pcs of Flanges (from the Content Center), 1 pc of sealing ( from CC) and 4 pcs of flanged connection (1 Bolted Connection created by Desing Accelerator and copied using Circular Array).

Files are placed in ...\Project_Workspace\SomeHigherLevelAssembly\FlangedConnection.iam and \Project_Workspace\SomeHigherLevelAssembly\FlangedConnection\(here are Design accelerator files) and CC files are stored in default CC folder (I want to keep copy in same project and use standard parts from CC).

When FlangedConnection.iam is saved using Pack&Go, it creates a new project folder structure in Pack&Go folder like: ...\Pack&Go_folder\Project_folder\Project_Workspace\SomeHigherLevelAssembly\Flanged Connection.iam . So I try to copy FlangedConnection assembly + belongings to a new folder ...\Project_workspace\New_folder\FlangedConnection.iam all non CC dependecies of the copied FlangedConnection.iam are linked to Project_folder\Project_Workspace\SomeHigherLevelAssembly\FlangedConnection\

Images better than 1000 words:

Pack&GoPack&GoPack&Go (sub)folder containing copied assemblyPack&Go (sub)folder containing copied assemblyDesign Assistant view of Packed&Went version of the assembly (opened in context of original Project - due availibility of Content Center parts.Design Assistant view of Packed&Went version of the assembly (opened in context of original Project - due availibility of Content Center parts.

Sorry for bad English.
Message 6 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! I don't think Pack&Go is the right solution for you in this case. You want to create a brand new dataset from an existing one within the same project. This is a copy design operation. I believe you want to use iLogic Design Copy or Vault Copy Design.

P&G creates an identical copy (names and files) in a different folder. If such same named files exist in the project folder, Inventor can be confused an resolve to a wrong file in a different folder.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 18
a_delangeT6HEN

How is this so difficult..

Message 8 of 18
IgorMir
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

It is worth mentioning that the extra steps will still be required. Copy Design allows you to introduce prefix to the files names but it doesn't allow the user to re-name the original files. Hence the DA is needed to do so. But that, in turn - brings another issue. For whatever reason - I, for one - have never been able to get drawing's files into the DA. Which means - after editing the names for the assemblies and parts - there will be Resolving issue in each and every drawing file. Which is not a big deal if the set of drawing files is in a range of hundred plus a little. But if there are a thousand drawing files in a project - it will take some efforts to resolve them all.
Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 9 of 18
IgorMir

You need to make the Project, which was created by P&G - current. Then open the upper-most copied assembly in the DA and rename all the files in there. Close the DA, open the drawing's files in Inventor and resolve the links. You will have to just point to the corresponding re-named assembly or part file. Once done - you can transfer all of the files into your working directory. Now start Inventor and set your working (old) project as current again.

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 10 of 18
SBix26
in reply to: IgorMir

I've never had any difficulty to include drawing files in DA, so I wonder what's different?

My process is pretty much the same, but I start with the top-most assembly drawing.  I then select all the files under that drawing (in the upper pane), and then use the lower pane to find all "where used" files (drawings, derived parts, presentations, etc.).  In the upper pane select all, choose Action > Rename, and in the lower pane select all, choose Action > Update.  Then go through one by one: right click on the filename, select Change Name, set the new filename.  When finished click Save and you're done, except for renaming the drawings.

Note that changing the filename automatically changes the Part Number iProperty.  If you don't want the Part Number to change, you can right click on it (before saving!) and select Reset, which returns it to the original value.

SBix26_0-1681320085165.png

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 11 of 18

Hi! Do you mind elaborating the issue you are having? Are these files managed by Vault or the legacy Shared project?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 18
IgorMir
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks Sam.
The waiting time for the drawings to populate the pan is quite substantial. And that's for a small assembly. But for a medium size one - I can't tell how long will that take.

Anyway, it is not a real show stopper for me since copying the whole design is a fairly seldom activity I got to do. But it is good to learn all the options should the need arise to copy designs more frequently.

Non the less - you gave me some food for thoughts how to handle the files re-naming protocol more efficiently. Thanks for that! 🙂

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 13 of 18
a_delangeT6HEN
in reply to: SBix26

Dear John,
My experience is mostly in Fusion 360 but here at Folkers I work in Inventor 2024.
In Fusion it is very easy, copy and assemy and paste as new.
In effect that is what I want to achieve in inventor, simply copying a folder in windows explorer and changing file names is very inefficient.
We design speedgates, often the wings of the gates are 99% similar but not completely.
We do not use Vault.
Message 14 of 18

Hi! If Fusion works better for you, that is great. There are similarities between the two. But, there are indeed major differences also. The reason the copy of an assembly is relatively straight forward is because Fusion supports local components. It means all components are contained inside a design.

Inventor iam file is more like a wrapper, which do not contain any geometry. But it knows where to find those part files. When copying an assembly, many files will need to be copied and the links will need to be properly remapped by Inventor.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 18

Hi,
That is indeed what I do now, I was hoping I missed something.
Would implementing to Vault have any impact on this?
Message 16 of 18
CCarreiras
in reply to: a_delangeT6HEN

Why not use parametric models, ready to have the configurations you need?

like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EorFyiscaxI

Vault will help you to make copies, but the mechanism is similar to Design copy (without Vault) but with a few more options.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 17 of 18
a_delangeT6HEN

Hi,

Thank you for your time!

All my models are parametric, the issue is there are lots of shared components.
Usually I start of with a .ipt named project#-parameters.ipt and link all my part parameters this file. This part itself does not contain any geometry.
For example:
A specific type of rail which is sold at a length of 1998mm, offset a plane at the end with a parametric value and a split body modifier to adapt the length according to the input parameter. "RailLength". I add this assembly (Rail, Bolts, Nuts, Spacers, etc.), which lives in a shared folder on the network to my assembly and I change the "RailLength" parameter to suit my needs. However this means every instance of this part, also in other projects will change.
In this case I need to make an independent copy of the assembly.
In Windows explorer I copy the entire folder containing the .iam and multiple .ipt files and paste it to a location inside the inventor project. Now the .iam still uses the IPT's in the original folder, not the new folder.
This means I need to go in and tell Inventor where to find every single .ipt. This process takes a lot of time.
How do I work around that?
Message 18 of 18
CCarreiras

Have you tried the Copy Design Tool?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report