Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-ordinate sketch

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
321 Views, 2 Replies

Co-ordinate sketch

I want to be able to make an airfoil in Inventor using co-ordinates.

I found this tutorial for Solidworks here --> HERE and also here

Can you do something similar in Inventor?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

like these

https://www.google.com/search?q=airfoil+inventor&oq=Airfoil+Iventor&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l4.8952j0j4&...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Anonymous

Airfoil lofts are possible with Inventor, but they could behave better. See 2016 file.

Airfoil points are imported from an Excel file. Three import options are available:

- Only points import

- Import of points, connected with straight lines

- Import of points, with spline connection

Now look at the results:

Airfoil lofting issues.jpg

Wing root section has 100% depth, wing tip section has 60%.

The red wing used points with straight lines import. Automatic transition points were set for the loft. When looking along the trailing edge, line shifting can be seen. This result is bad, and can only be accepted for far-away looks. Disturbing are many tesselation lines, too.

The yellow wing used points with straight lines, too. But in this case, the sections were split up in upper and lower sections, together with 3DLines for leading and trailing edge. Nose portion is better now, but there are still misalignment between transition points at the lower section. That could be better,too.

The blue wing is made from points with spline import. No more tesselation lines are visible, but scaling down the tip to 60% fails. I didn't find a solution for that unsatisfying result.

What do we need?

- Better scaling for spline sections

- Point-to-point transitions between loft sections with only scaled or similar geometry

Smiley Wink Let's hope for early improvements

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report