Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't remove row from revison block

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
4861 Views, 24 Replies

Can't remove row from revison block

The "delete row" is greyed out in my RMB menu whil editing a revision block
in an IDW & I don't know why. I cannot delete the 2nd row I added previously

What casused this & how can I delete the row?
The help did not provide any helpful info on this. The Help file said there
would be a "remove row" selection in RMB menu. The menu actually says
"delete row".

The 2nd row in Rev block says rev "2" & my iProp says rev 1.

I do not use vault.
Gary
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Inv_kaos
in reply to: Anonymous

G'day Gary,

Edit the table, select the second row and then hit the remove row button at the top.

Regards,
Stew
Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous

Stew,

The remove row button is grayed out in the edit dialog as well. So I cannot
delete the row.

Gary

wrote in message news:5814560@discussion.autodesk.com...
G'day Gary,

Edit the table, select the second row and then hit the remove row button at
the top.

Regards,
Stew
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous

Did anyone find a solution to this? There is a pencil next to the last row (see pic) which I imagine is saying that the row is being edited, maybe that's why it can't be deleted. But there's got to be a way to remove the last row in the table, right?
Message 5 of 25
swalton

I reported this issue to support and got the impression that this behavior was as designed.

However, I am able to delete the last row in the table by clicking on the description cell, then clicking on the remove row button. I have to delete the row when I first open the table for editing.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous

Ah, nice tip. Thanks. I'd say that's quite finicky that you can only delete it after the first mouse click on the row, but not after that.

And if this behavior is "as designed" then who the heck thought that up? They let you easily override a dimension in a drawing with a user entered number, but don't intend on you deleting a revision row that you placed by accident? ... go figure.
Message 7 of 25
swalton

Or worse, using copy design in Vault or Design Assistant to change something from old_part_number_rev_m to new_part_number_rev_a, something that I do often.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 25
dan_inv09

I can't get that trick to work, they must have found out and "fixed" it. Any other ideas?
Message 9 of 25
dan_inv09

From Help:

"Note The active row is always the most recently added row to the revision table. It is denoted by an edit icon and cannot be deleted."

Could someone explain to me what is this supposed to accomplish?
Message 10 of 25
Anonymous

For Inventor 2008...

If you have revision rows A, B, and C, and you want to delete row C. First delete row B, and then alter the text in row C to what row B had.

When I tried this the revision tag did change to letter B.

Kristina Vogt
Message 11 of 25
dan_inv09

If you add another row is it "D"?
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous

Yeah it does come in at D, but you can change the letter in the edit dialogue box. The revision tag seems tied to the letter typed in the rev line.

Short of adding a rev line D saying disregard rev C, there doesn't seem to be a better way to remove the revision line.
Message 13 of 25
dan_inv09

In 2011 is there a way to "roll back" a revision?

Message 14 of 25
geargirl2951
in reply to: Inv_kaos

I realize that this is 9 years later but I have the same problem now as gcross.  I believe you missed that he said the delete row button is greyed out.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: geargirl2951

OK, so, what you do, is copy-paste the line above the one you want to delete into the last row, and then delete the rev line above the last one (that you just copied from)... because that makes sense.

Message 16 of 25
johnsonshiue
in reply to: geargirl2951

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. Could you share an example? Please send it directly to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 25
dan_inv09

I believe it was originally intended to tie in with some sort of document management system and we were probably not even supposed to be able to access it from within Inventor.

Notice how the text you type in in the Revision Table dialog is blue, like overridden text in a Parts List - as if you are overriding the text that the document management is supposed to provide, and the "paperwork" for the change is already on its way through that system. Now you can't stop it, so you have to do a revision to undo the revision when a rational person would ask, "Why can't I just delete it?" 

But you and I should be able to just delete it because we are not using the other system - for all I know that other system was never even implemented.

Can you "leave" a General Table in a template? Remember drawings that looked like this:bdr.pngThe rev table was always there with empty lines.

We could make our own - do you use the Revision Tags? (You could make your own with Sketched Symbols - And that will help out when you discover that two or three revisions ago somebody missed a revision tag - - just try and place an old tag, I was once trying to redraw a pencil drawing and thought I could place all the tags for 20+ years of revisions at once, ha ha. So there's a drawback to the convenience of the auto indexing of the tags.)

The only thing their revision system really has going for it is that we can't save a format for a general table.

(You could put that in the Ideas forum "Styles for General Tables" or something like that.)

Message 18 of 25
geargirl2951
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The revision row non-removable behavior happens with every line drawing.  When you create one, make the mistake that you add a row then change your mind and want to just delete it.  From what I am hearing/reading, deleting the row is not possible.

Message 19 of 25
llorden4

Still an issue in 2022. 

Situation.    Copying an existing drawing that is very similar to the drawing that is needed, swapping out the model reference and updating title block information in an attempt to create a NEW drawing with minimal work.

If a revision exists in the drawing, then you can't remove those revisions to start over and you "must" start fresh and anew to clear the revision history.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 20 of 25
cmooreXBSNR
in reply to: llorden4

llorden4, I do the exact procedure you describe often. I delete the old Revision Block all together then drop a new Revision Block in. It works for me every time. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report