Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break Link between assemlies in inventor 2024

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
a_delangeT6HEN
170 Views, 4 Replies

Break Link between assemlies in inventor 2024

Dear Inventors,

I am running into an issue mirroring an assembly.

My assembly has around 6 parts and using an offset plane I mirror the assembly, in the mirror dialog box I have selected "make new assembly". So far so good, the assembly nicely mirrors, creates the new parts and I open the assembly file using windows explorer, then check it in to out Vault.

Now I would like the aseembly to become independent, of course I can go to a part of the assembly and break the link in the model bowser, (right click, break or suppress link). However this makes it impossible to edit a sketch in that particular part.

The workaround would be to use Design Copy to copy the mirrored design but I can't imagine there is no "vanilla" inventor way of doing this? 

Looking forward to hearing your answers?

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by edit a sketch?

If you suppress, you can edit a sketch in the original file and then unsuppress/resuppress the mirror to update it. 
Is this what you're looking for?

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 3 of 5

Hi James,

Not exactly what I am looking for.

With editing sketch I mean to say, edit features.

We make gates, always, or almost always they have two pillars.

They are almost the same but for example one has a mailbox and the other an intercom/motor compartment.

One pillar is called A, the second is called B, it seems to be incredibly difficult to just give the second pillar a different  letter extruded through the sheetmetal.

I want to mirror the first pillar, then have two and change something on the second.

All I miss is a button that says, mirror without link and then not have the mirror turn all my parts into unflexible solids. This is very annoying and requires enourmous workarounds.

Message 4 of 5

Mirror works by using derive so you are always going to be left with a 'dumb block' as the mirrored component. 
The way I would do this is, after mirroring, open the mirrored component and use delete face to remove the letter you don't want, then add the correct letter as a new feature. 
You can then choose suppress if you want it to be independent but not lose the ability to push changes later if the original does change. As long as the original geometry isn't removed or change too much, the new features in the mirrored component should still compute. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 5 of 5

Another way of doing this is to mirror at part level using mirror solid and the 'remove original' checkbox. This way you keep all the sketches and features in the mirrored part. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report