Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 BOM Import fails at its job

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
jletcher
414 Views, 15 Replies

2019 BOM Import fails at its job

If you set up BOM and then export it so the configuration is saved for further assemblies it does not work.

In 2012 it worked 2019 it does not, not sure when you broke it but it is broke.

Example:

Set BOM to "sort by" BOM Structure this puts all the purchase parts at the bottom "then by" with Description.

Export it, open an new assembly open BOM import what you saved, it does nothing.

Another thing broke after you started messing with the interface.

Can we get this fixed.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jtylerbc
in reply to: jletcher

I just tried it in 2018.  It is not quite accurate to say that it "does nothing" - it correctly transfers the columns.  But I see the same thing there regarding the sort.

I have rarely used BOM customization export, so I can't confirm that the sort order was ever preserved.  But I can confirm that it definitely isn't preserved now.

Message 3 of 16
jletcher
in reply to: jtylerbc

It "does nothing" to my comment I made about the sorting.

So what you are saying it was also broke in 2018, wonder when they broke it.

See going from 2012 to 2019 I think I see more none improvements then those that received them over the years.

Thanks for checking it.

Message 4 of 16
jtylerbc

@jletcher wrote:

So what you are saying it was also broke in 2018, wonder when they broke it. 

Pretty much, assuming it ever carried the sort over in the first place.  As I mentioned before, I don't use the export much, so I can't say that I've personally ever seen it transfer a sort order.  I've just never tried to do that before, so I can't say either way whether it worked in the past.  I was just checking to see if it was a new 2019 behavior, or if it went back further than that. 

For the same reason, I have no idea when it would have changed.  All I can say for sure is that 2018 does exactly what you described, so it goes back at least that far.  I don't think we have any machines left that have something older than that installed, so that's as far back as I can check. 

Message 5 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi James and John,

I will take a look at this behavior on various releases on Monday. I would like to understand the behavioral difference between releases and find out why. I will get back to you with my findings.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

I think this could be related to the default Sort method. Try this and see if it works better. Go to BOM table -> Sort -> expand the dialog -> select "Sort by string."

In the past, Inventor only supports "string sorting." The options were added in 2017 or 2016 to address concerns that "string sorting" generates different sort order than "numerical sorting", particularly in Part Number column.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 16
jletcher
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Already set on string, so I would say no.

And it is the purchase items not going to the bottom and the descriptions not sorting.

This is costing a lot of time not working. I wish you all would stop breaking Inventor.

Message 8 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi James and John,

Then I would greatly appreciate it if you can share an example. I did try the workflow shown in the video, I am not seeing the defective behavior. The BOM format was adhered after the option xml file was imported.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 16
jletcher

Here is a video.

Message 10 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

Many thanks for getting back to me! I am able to reproduce the behavior now. I think there is a bit misunderstanding here. The exported BOM format customization xml never includes the sort conditions as of 2012. Also, on 2012, if you reorder the rows, the sort conditions will be reset to null. On 2019, as in 2012, the sort conditions are still not captured in the xml file. However, if you reorder the rows, the sort conditions will survive (without going null).
Did you recall when sort conditions were captured in the xml file?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 16
jletcher

Yes I know it worked in 2012 my question is why would you break it?

This was a time saver, where are these improvements, this can't be one of them.

I went from 2012 to 2019 and you would think Inventor would be 30% faster but yet you all seem to have made it 40% slower and this is a prime example.

Can you explain why you would take this out.

Message 12 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

I am sorry I am confused now. I tried the same workflow on 2012. The export/import option behavior in 2012 is the same as later releases. After you reorder rows and you import the option, the row order remains unchanged. It does not automatically reorder. It is because that the sort conditions are never captured in the exported xml option file.

The only difference I notice is that on 2012, if I reordered the rows, the sort conditions were reset to null. On 2019, the sort conditions remain there.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 16
jletcher

I am not sure I am following are you claiming it did not sort in 2012?

Are you claiming if I have a new assembly and import my saved BOM structure it did not sort?

If that is the case I will have to dig out the 2012 computer and make a video to prove it did, but want to make sure that is what you are claiming.

Or you still fail to see what I am showing?

Whenever client had a new assembly he would import the BOM structure and all purchase parts will go to the bottom he never had to sort in 2012.

Message 14 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

I am able to reproduce the exact behavior shown in 2019. And, yes, I am seeing the same behavior on 2012.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 16
jtylerbc

@jletcher wrote:

If that is the case I will have to dig out the 2012 computer and make a video to prove it did, but want to make sure that is what you are claiming.

If you do that, you might want to post what Service Pack that machine's 2012 install is on.  If you're correct that it used to transfer the sort, there is the possibility that the point where it stopped working was one of the 2012 service packs. 

If that's the case, @johnsonshiue's 2012 version would probably be after that point (as it probably has all SP's applied).  It's possible you're both technically right, but not quite comparing apples to apples.

Message 16 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi Guys,

I tried it on all releases I have and I am not seeing the auto resorting behavior on importing the xml file.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report