cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property Grid Favorites

Property Grid Favorites

I would like to see a "favorites" option in the property grid.  This would allow us to check the star next to the rule name and mark it as a favorite.  Then we would have a third sorting option to sort by favorites.  I suppose the favorite sorting option could apply to both the categorized sorting and A-Z sorting.

Thanks,

6 Comments
Jon.Balgley
Alumni

I was thinking about a "Watch" window, which would allow you to see properties (rules) from different parts all at once.  That's similar to your "Favorites".  What do you think?

FarrenYoung
Collaborator

I think a watch window would be amazing.  I assume it would be something like the following?

Another note, if you decide to implement this.  Would it be possible to
have the type column use the following .net function to get the type?

Microsoft.VisualBasic.Information.TypeName(obj)

I ask because when you evaluate .net objects in eto (at least Inventor/com objects) it returns <System.__ComObject> instead of the .net type it is and the typename would be a lot more useful for debugging.

FarrenYoung
Collaborator

I may have gone beyond what you were thinking.  Looking at it again maybe you were thinking more simplistically about just having a right-click option to "Watch" a rule on the properties grid which would add them to the Watch window.  That would work, but if it was easy enough to do, it would be beneficial to be able to add them directly to the list in the watch window as you can in visual studio (and as I've shown above).

FarrenYoung
Collaborator

I was thinking about this some more last night.

Instead of the RuleName column, it would make a lot of sense to have that column be an input for an Expression instead.  This way we could add a rule name to watch or any other snippet of code we may want to execute.  This would keep us from having to go into the design files or dynamic rule editor and create a new rule just to handle testing things.

Jon.Balgley
Alumni

Good idea about the 'expression'.  I'm marking this as 'accepted' but I'm not sure exactly how it will work -- there are several good ideas here.

Note that most (all?) .Net objects except Inventor objects will display themselves correctly, using their class name.

Jon.Balgley
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report