Inventor ETO IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor ETO with the Development Team
5 Kudos
Chris_Rogers

Drawing Balloons/Leaders use Workpoints

by Active Contributor Chris_Rogers on ‎10-24-2012 10:36 AM

While using Intent for drawing creation, it would be very useful to be able to use a workpoint as an entity to attach a balloon/leader to.

Comments
by Board Manager on ‎11-02-2012 03:04 PM

Can you do this in Inventor, interactively?  I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think in Intent you can get the sheet-position of a workpoint, and use that in a leader.

Balloons are intended to "go to" some visible thing in the drawing.  In the case of balloons, that's how it tracks down the corresponding part.  

by Board Manager on ‎11-02-2012 03:27 PM
Status changed to: Comments Requested

by Active Contributor Chris_Rogers on ‎11-05-2012 07:22 AM

No, I do not believe that you can do this in Inventor currently.

You are correct that you can get the sheet position of a workpoint for only a leader but that is a big hassle since you will need to get the workpoint location, sheet coordinates, and then view coordinates for each.

Yes, I agree that balloons are supposed to "go to" something.  

There are two ways to handle this:  

• Use named workpoints that are saved in the .ipt's.
  • When creating a balloon, if you are using a workpoint entity, require a part file for reference.

Also, please see this link for another good argument: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-ETO-IdeaStation/quot-Nearest-quot-drawing-curve-for-IvBalloon...

by Active Contributor Chris_Rogers on ‎11-14-2012 07:31 AM

Any update or further questions on this Jon?

by Board Manager on ‎11-16-2012 02:09 PM

Added as an "idea" for Inventor here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Attach-balloon-to-a-workpoint/idi-p/3702700

In the absence of that, I think ETO is limited to the "nearest drawing curve" suggestion in the other "idea".  

by Board Manager on ‎11-16-2012 02:09 PM
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube