Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does ETO get the length units it uses?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
MatthiasRolf
889 Views, 11 Replies

Where does ETO get the length units it uses?

Hello there,

I just ran into an issue creating a new ETO project.

I created a new project, copied all templates I need in a sub-folder, changed the units to mm in all of them and set the project's template folder to that sub-folder.

I then started creating a part file, using mm length units. After I was done, I adopted it into Intent using the wizard. However, the resulting design insisted on using inch length units. After several failed attempts to fix this (setting the application defaults to mm and DIN, deleting all superfluous templates, going through quite a few option dialogs trying to find a setting that might cause this, etc) I gave up and copied an already existing project that successfully adopts part using mm as length units.

Basically, I didn't fix the issue and haven't found the reason for it, either. All I've found about ETO / Intent and length units so far was a post here saying that ETO handles units automatically. So, my question is this: Where does ETO get the information about what length units to use? It would be great if I could create new projects that use the length units I want.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi,

I open my project file in Notepad and in there you will find "Inch" change to Millimeter and save the file.
That will solve your problem.

I might be some other way to solve this but I haven't found it.

Regards
Rikard
Message 3 of 12

Hi Rikard,

thanks for your reply.

I wanted to try your suggestion and created a new test project with the default settings. After that I opened the ipj file in a text editor and tried to find a mention of "inch". Sadly, I didn't find anything.

Perhaps I did misunderstand something. Is the project file you're talking about indeed the .ipj file or are you refering to something else?

Regards

Matthias

Message 4 of 12

Hi,

The project needs to be an ETO project. It will become one after starting your first template.
Then you can change inch to millimeter.

/Rikard
Message 5 of 12

Thanks a lot!
I found the corresponding entries in the IPJ file after adding an Intent assembly.
Message 6 of 12
wayne.brill
in reply to: MatthiasRolf

Hi,

There is a way to set the units for a project in the UI. From the application drop down menu (Big I in the upper Left) Select Manage>Inventor ETO Project Manager. In the dialog there is Length Units drop down. If there are no open documents you can change the setting. There is some documentation about this:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ETOCOMP/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-6029AE8C-1A16-42D8-9F6C-EF351D0F0F30

Thanks,

Wayne 

Wayne Brill
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 7 of 12

Hi Wayne,

In my Inventor that Options disapeared in 2015..

The last time a saw that was in 2014..

/Rikard

Message 8 of 12

Hi Rikard,

In my install of ETO 2015 the setting is still there. I attached a screenshot.

I have English version:
Inventor - Build 2015 RTM Update 2
ETO - Version 8.1 Build 5 Date 6/5/2014

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Brill

Message 9 of 12
wayne.brill
in reply to: wayne.brill

Hi,

Try one more time to add the screenshot.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Brill

Message 10 of 12

And here is my ScreenShot..

Editor.JPG

Message 11 of 12

Hi Rikard,

I can get my "Manage" menu to look like yours if I uncheck "Intent Model" on the "User Interface" drop down on the View Tab and restart Inventor. Could you check this?

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Brill

Message 12 of 12

Hi,

I will check this tomorrow.
But I always have intent model un-checked so it might be true.
I thought that it can't be checked in combination with ETO Studio.

/Rikard

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report