Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using WordTableWriter or WordTextWriter in a loop

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bsee1
557 Views, 6 Replies

Using WordTableWriter or WordTextWriter in a loop

Is it possible to put WordTextWriters in some kind of a loop?  Inventor gives an error about my code now, probably because I'm trying to put Child elements inside of a rule.  I'm open to alternative suggestions.(I dont need the rule, but it was the only way to define the counter element)  But when it prints it must pint in the order:

stationheader1

assumptiontext1

pagebreak

stationheader2

assumptiontext2

pagebreak

etc...

Rule Evaluation As Number
	Dim counter As Integer = 0
	While counter < NumberOfStations
		counter = counter+1
		Child PageBreak1 As :WordBreakWriter, Quantity = 1
			Bookmark = "StationHeader"
			Placement = :After
			BreakType = :Page
		End Child
		Child AssumptionText As :WordTextWriter, Quantity = 1
			Text = nth(counter,Root.TKSE_System_1.StationAssumptionsList)
		End Child
		Child MachineHeader As :WordTextWriter, Quantity = 1
			style = "Heading 2"
			Text = nth(counter,Root.TKSE_System_1.BOMHeaderData)
		End Child 

End While
End Rule

The only relevant part of my template is that I have a bookmark called "StationHeader".

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
csuffell
in reply to: bsee1

You may want to try using the MakePart function.

So make the rule Evaluation return a List (of parts) (So we can set the Children correctly)

In the loop, replace the Child.....End Child with a MakePart, eg

Rule Evaluation As List

counter = counter+1

dim p1 as part = MakePart({:Design, :WordBreakWriter,:Bookmark,"StationHeader",:Placement,:After,BreakType,:Page})

dim p2  as part = MaklePart...................

Return {P1,P2,................}

end rule

Then 'con' the Child list...

Rule Children as list = Children()  + Evaluation

Depending on how you want the Loop to opperate you may need to aggregate up the lists of part so that Evaluation returns the right thing.

I'm guiessiong here, so I might have missed something 🙂

Message 3 of 7
bsee1

Thank you, this seems like it should work, but whenever I try to save it, it says unhandled exception occurred.  It claims I'm attempting to write to protected memory. 

The problem is with the very last line.  If I comment it out, the code saves, but of course, nothing is put into the Word document.  (for the moment I'm leaving out the page break part because that also has some issue)

Do you have any ideas where I may have gone wrong?

My updated code is below. 

Rule Evaluation As List
		counter = counter+1
		Dim p2 As Part = MakePart({:Design, :WordTextWriter,:Bookmark,"StationHeader",:Placement,:After,Text = nth(counter,Root.TKSE_System_1.StationAssumptionsList)})
		Dim p3 As Part = MakePart({:Design, :WordTextWriter,:Bookmark,"StationHeader",:Placement,:After,style = "Heading 2",Text = nth(counter,Root.TKSE_System_1.BOMHeaderData)})
	End While
	Return {p2,p3}
End Rule

Rule Children As List = Children() + Evaluation

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1
Message 4 of 7
csuffell

Evaluation needs to be a flat list of all the parts that you have made, so you need to collect the parts up within the while. Something like:

Rule Evaluation As List

dim kids as list   {}
counter = counter+1
Dim p2 As Part = MakePart({:smileyvery-happy:esign, :WordTextWriter,:Bookmark,"StationHeader",:smileytongue:lacement,:After,Text = nth(counter,Root.TKSE_System_1.StationAssumptionsL​ist)})
Dim p3 As Part = MakePart({:smileyvery-happy:esign, :WordTextWriter,:Bookmark,"StationHeader",:smileytongue:lacement,:After,style = "Heading 2",Text = nth(counter,Root.TKSE_System_1.BOMHeaderData)})

kids = kids + {p2,p3}
End While
'Return {p2,p3}

Return kids
End Rule

Message 5 of 7
bsee1
in reply to: csuffell

I have it so it properly stores the parts in the list, but how do I make it actually output them to the word document?  Right now, it doesn't add anything to the bookmark like I thought it would.

I took out this line because all it was doing was making a duplicate list of parts.

My new code:

Rule Evaluation As List
	Dim kids As List = {}
	While counter < NumberofStations
		counter = counter+1
		Dim p1 As Part = MakePart({:Design, :WordBreakWriter,:Bookmark,"StationHeader1",:Placement,:After,:BreakType,:Page})
		Dim p2 As Part = MakePart({:Design, :WordTextWriter,:Bookmark,"StationHeader1",:Placement,:After,:Text,nth(counter,Root.TKSE_System_1.StationAssumptionsList)})
		Dim p3 As Part = MakePart({:Design, :WordTextWriter,:Bookmark,"StationHeader1",:Placement,:After,:Text,nth(counter,Root.TKSE_System_1.BOMHeaderData)})
		kids = kids + {p1,p2,p3}
	End While
	Return kids
End Rule

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1
Message 6 of 7
csuffell

I have attached a 'hacked version' of a very old demo (I think it was done originally in a 2009 beta for Intent-inventor) It sort of illustrates what I was trying to get at. You can play games with the naming of the children (from makepart) to make it look better in the assemly tree (if you want). The key here is that the 'Children' list in the quotation are built from the makeparts (up to you how you actually form that list) but so long as that part(has WordDoc mixed in) has a list of children that contain the 'writer' parts you should get a populated word doc (when you demand the report)

Hope this helps

Message 7 of 7
bsee1
in reply to: csuffell

That made it work perfect. Thank you.  I only had to change one line from what I had before.

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report