Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-Assemblies change their Document Settings \ Units

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
840 Views, 8 Replies

Sub-Assemblies change their Document Settings \ Units

Hello All,

The sub-assemblies called in as children change their document Units of Measurement from Inches to Centimeters:

Even though all the sub-assemblies were originally made from the Inches template (Automation(in).iam) (with all the parameters being passed in inches), and if I open them individually, they are in still in inches.

But when they are added as children, the document settings change to make them set to cm.

Example at hand:

(Main Assembly, with the documents settings being inches)

MainAssy.png

(if I drill into a sub-assembly, the document settings show that units have changed to cm)

SubAssy.png

All help is appreciated.

Thanking you,

Wajih

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
amandamao
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Wajih,

It appears to be a known problem that the unit of the sub-assembly will changed after its called in as children in some cases, which we are looking into, you may need to manually change the unit for now.

Thanks,

Amanda

Message 3 of 9
pbrade
in reply to: Anonymous

I now have this problem with ETO 2016.  Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks,

Pete

Message 4 of 9
Jon.Balgley
in reply to: pbrade

This was fixed for ETO 2016 (and 2015 too).

The units of the TLA are propagated down to subassemblies.  

However, if you change the units of the TLA, it will continue to use any previously-generated sub-assembly member files with the old units. You can clean these out to regenerate.

Units of parts are inherited from their factory.

If you are seeing something different, please give us the exact scenario.

Jon Balgley
Message 5 of 9
Jon.Balgley
in reply to: Jon.Balgley

PS.  TLA = Top Level Assembly.

Jon Balgley
Message 6 of 9
pbrade

Hi Jon,

Sorry for my ignorance, what do you mean by TLA?

The template assembly file has been check and the document settings length units are in inches not cm.  Also, I removed the template assembly file to verify that ETO/intent was using the assembly file expected, and was confirmed by no longer working until replaced.  This issue has been noticed after our recent upgrade to 2016, and only effects new assemblies created after the upgrade.  FYI, our prior version was 2014 and there were no changes to the intent code or the template files for the upgrade.

Thanks for the help,

Pete

Message 7 of 9
pbrade

Jon,

The top level assembly is the only one that is in inches.  Part files and Ok as well.

Thanks,

Pete

Message 8 of 9
Jon.Balgley
in reply to: pbrade

Sorry, I was on vacation for a few days.

Are you still having this issue?

Allow me to re-summarize my understanding of the situation:

* It was working OK in ETO 2014.

* You have migrated from ETO 2014 to 2016.

* The TLA is in inches.

* All part files are in inches.

The problem is:

* Sub-assembly files are generated using document-units of "mm".

* It's only a problem of units; the actual geometry is the correct size (not 25.4x or 2.54x too big or too small)

You have tried this action:

* Deleted all "member" IAM files (for the sub-assemblies), and allowed them to be re-generated.  (If the TLA was in "mm", any subassembly member files generated in that state are not automatically re-generated if you change the TLA to be in "inches".)

If so, can you send us a simple example that shows the problem?  You can attach it here or email it to us at inventor-eto.support@autodesk.com  

Jon Balgley
Message 9 of 9
pbrade

Hi Jon,

Yes we still have this issue.

Sub-assembly files are generated using document-units of "cm" not inches.

Part files and TLA are in inches.  Assembly constraints applied through ETO are correct, ie, not off by the inches to cm conversion.  Manually applied constraints to the sub-assemblies need to be applied in cm to be correct, unless the document settings units are manually changed to inches.  This is a quality concern of ours. 

Deleting sub-assembly files and rebuilding with ETO has no impact.

I'll send an email to the support address.

Thanks,

Pete

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report