Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Bug with Text orientation in ETO 2013?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kevinfink1063
382 Views, 2 Replies

Possible Bug with Text orientation in ETO 2013?

I'm in the process of setting up a "test" application using ETO 2013. I have some items working, and I'm adding in rectangles and circles into my assembly/design for reference. My ground plane is the XZ plane, so to get the rectangles and circles to be on that plane, I've added the value of "vector(0,0,1)" to the 'ydirection' parameter in the Frame category. When I do this with Text, it doesn't change the orientation. The text stays in the XY plane (see attached for screenshot).

Am I changing the proper parameter or is there a different one I should be using? Even if I'm using the wrong parameter, it's still inconsistent behavior between the different designs (all of which are 2D). Thanks.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
wayne.brill
in reply to: kevinfink1063

Hello,

Can you take a look at this blog post and see if it helps?

http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/11/inventor-engineer-to-order-using-frame-based-posi...

Also there is a topic in the Wiki help:
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor_ETO/enu/2013/Help/0148-Inventor148/0307-Inventor307/0324-Tools... 

One idea in this excerpt from that topic in the help is important to understand:
>> >>
As its name implies, xDirection is a Vector parameter and specifies the direction of the x-axis of the localFrame. Somewhat at odds with its name, yDirection doesn't actually specify the y-axis. Since the axes must be orthogonal, and there is no restriction on independent parameters, the system uses the yDirection value merely to determine the plane and general direction of the y-axis. Thus, xDirection has priority.
<< <<

If this does not help upload a small dataset that I can use to recreate the problem.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Brill
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 3
kevinfink1063
in reply to: wayne.brill

Wayne,

Thanks for the reply, but the topics described didn't help me out.

All I'm trying to do is add in the standard Intent Text design (see attached) as a child to the top assembly (Intent assembly using inches), and have the text lie on the XZ plane. I've added rectangles and arcs (both standard Intent designs) and gotten them to lie on the XZ plane using the "ydirection" parameter, but the text doesn't change orientations with that parameter. I've tried providing a value for the ReferenceFrame on the Text design as well, but that didn't work either.

Is the Text design only meant to be used on drawings?

The samples provided here all refer to a parent design of a Drawing Document: Text Design

If you would need a sample dataset, please let me know what I'd actually need to provide. I know my way around an older version of Intent, but I'm a novice when it comes to Inventor.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report