Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
ChrisSuffell
254 Views, 3 Replies

OnUpdate?

Can anyone suggest a robust way of enforcing a rule to be evaluated during a model update?

Using onCreate works fine for the initial Part creation, but doesn't get fired for any subsequent updates (changes to parameters etc) Fiddling with renderself sort of works but is there a better way?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JackGregory
in reply to: ChrisSuffell

Chris:

There really isn't such a thing as "update" in the pure sense.  What update means is usually evaluation of Root.RenderSelf.  All other things that happen are based on whether rule values are demanded and have already been cached or not.

Thus, it is possible that "update" does "nothing", because nothing demanded by Root.Renderself, or anything it depends on, has changed.  But, as a corollary, if you want to do something every time Root.Renderself is called, you can create an Uncached rule that Root.Renderself depends on.

If this doesn't answer your question, by all means reply with some more detail.

--Jack Gregory

Message 3 of 4
ChrisSuffell
in reply to: JackGregory

Thanks Jack, Sounds like I should just stick with the RenderSelf based aproach I have been using. Just to explain, in case it changes your view. I have a model that potentaially creates dynamic rules during the creation of an instance of the root. When I change a parameter value I want to 'dispose' of the dynamic rules and start afresh. I have a rule that calls ClearCachedValues() to achieve the 'disposal' so I make the renderself rule on the root be dependent on that. I tend to be a little nervouse about 'fiddling' with the behaviour od RenderSelf so was simply wondering if there was a better way. Regards.............Chris
Message 4 of 4
JackGregory
in reply to: ChrisSuffell

Chris:

It sounds like the "modify" Dynamic Rule Reactors might be what you are looking for.  See the ETO Help Wiki pages for Dynamic Rule Reactors (formerly "Intent events") to see if they can do what you are seeking.

--Jack Gregory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report