Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ETO Studio - Update on Save?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
FarrenYoung
373 Views, 5 Replies

ETO Studio - Update on Save?

When I am working on code in ETO studio, conencted to Inventor, should/can it auto update the model when I save the design like it does in the standard design editor?  When I save the design this doesn't happen and to get Inventor to update (the graphics/model tree) I need to right click the Root in the ETO Model Browser within ETO Studio and choose Reload All.  I watched the youtube video (http://youtu.be/nsLzheKGA1Q) covering eto studio and it appears as soon as they choose save inventor starts updating (which is the behavior I desire.)  I looked and didn't notice the Reload All step in the video.  Is this possible?

--Farren

************************************************************************************
If this post helps, please click the "thumbs up" to give kudos
If this post answers your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
************************************************************************************
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

In general it should work, however, in 2012 the update between Inventor and ETO Series Studio didn't cover every case. We are improving this in 2013. What sort of changes are you making in the ETO Studio editor? Are you just adding a new rule like the video you link to?

Thanks,

Ray

Message 3 of 6

Any code change I make isn't updated in Inventor until choosing Reload All.

Perhaps I missed a step needed to properly connect eto studio.  Can you look at what I am doing below and tell me if it is correct or missing something?

Load Visual Studio

Open my solution containing eto project

Load Inventor

Open Intent controlled assembly

Enable Remote Services (eto studio responds by updating model tree, properties grid, and other controls)

Right click root in eto studio model tree choose edit design

Add simple parameter rule to root design

Save the design (notice that inventor never changes the status bar to indicate intent is doing something)

Go to Inventor, right click root part->Paramters, find nothing has changed

Go to eto studio and right click root->Reload All (inventor responds by showing calculating remaining time message in status bar)

Go to Inventor, right click root part->Parameters, find the new paramater that was added

If I am doing everything right and this feature just wasn't implemented in 2012, is it possible you could make available the eto studio dll that would have this code in it so intent will update when I save?

--Farren

Message 4 of 6

Hi Farren,

I talked to the person who did the video and it turns out the video is misleading, the part where he clicked on the reload button is not shown.

Thanks,

Ray.

Message 5 of 6

That seems very unethical.

Is there any way eto studio can behave like the original design editor in this regard?

Initially I was testing eto studio on smaller assemblies, now that I am working on my actual project, I am finding that reload all is freezing up inventor/visual studio every time.  As soon as I choose reload all, inventor locks up, then visual studio will throw up a mesasge saying it is busy, and I can wait several minutes and it never returns to normal.  During this time, the visual studio process is idle and the inventor process has the cpu/core maxed out.

This is happening on the same eto project, so the same set of design files are being used, it's just that I don't get the lockup when my root assembly is a small (~10 component assembly) as opposed to the main root assembly is larger (~200 components)

--Farren

Message 6 of 6

As we move forward, yes, ETO Studio will start to behave like the orginal design editor. If you have access to the 2013 beta I encourage you to try out that integration and give us feedback.

Thanks,

Ray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report