Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error while evaluating rule memberPathname

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Bull_Frog_5299
390 Views, 6 Replies

error while evaluating rule memberPathname

I inherited a project that was working beautifully with Inventor/Intent 2010.  I am trying to bring it into ETO 2013, but when I try to open the assembly, it starts to build then crashes with the error below.  About 1/3 of the assembly gets built before the crash.  It appears that Intent can't find what he's looking for, but I don't know how to tell him where it is.  Please help.

An error was encountered while evaluating rule memberPathname, in part Root.Building.Roof.ShinglesGroup.ShingleOne

Error Message:

Exception in function iv_createInstanceDocument [Root.Building.Roof.ShinglesGroup.ShingleOne]  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

It seems that my Assembly is trying to use "old" parts when I try to open it.  It is trying to use specific parts with partname.lotsoflettersandnumbers.ipt.  I don't know if I need to clear the cache somehow or what.  I haven't figured out how to get past this yet.  Any ideas?

Message 3 of 7

I woud check the ShingleOne part that is called out in Root.Building.Roof.ShinglesGroup.ShingleOne.

Check the following:

• Make sure the ipt exists in Factory Files.
  • Make sure the ipt has been Migrated to 2013.
  • Comment out any custom code that changes the memberfile name.

If everything listed above is correct and working then you may try re-adopting the part.

-Chris Rogers
Inventor Certified Professional

Thank you for the response, Chris.  By Factory Files, do you mean Member Files?  I opened all my parts with the 2013 version and saved them.  Is there more to "migrating" them than that?

Message 5 of 7

By Factory Files, I mean the files that Intent uses to create the member files.  They should be in seperate folders.

If you just open the file and save it, this does not cause the file to be migrated to 2013.

There are two ways that you can migrate.

1. Open a file, make some kind of change(add a sketch, change a parameter value, etc.) then save.  When you try to save then you will see a box pop up and ask you if you want to migrate the part.
  2. You can use the Inventor Task Scheduler and create a task that will migrate all of your factory files.
-Chris Rogers

ok.  I had skipped the migration step earlier.  didn't know I needed to do that.  i used the Task Scheduler to Migrate my entire project.  But, it didn't help.  My factory files (design files) are all where they belong.  I have opened the project in Visual Studio and set a break point to try and get to the bottom of this, but Visual Studio just laughs at me when I run the project.  No chance of hitting a break point in the ETO Project.  not sure how to do that.

Message 7 of 7

Have you tried using the built in "Intent Design Editor"?  It can be found in the Inventor Ribbon under the Tools tab.  You will not be able to apply breakpoints but you can try commenting things out until you get down to the problem.

If you think a certain file is causing the error, try creating a blank Intent assembly and only place that part as a child in the assembly.  You may find that there is a problem with the .ipt or perhaps the intent code.  

I have discovered that Intent 2013 is now catching coding errors that it was skipping over in 2010.

-Chris Rogers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report