Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor ETO OEM closes after some time of idling

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
AndrewPotachits
443 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor ETO OEM closes after some time of idling

For our customer we have built a custom application as OEM package with Inventor ETO using OEM Confugurator.

The application includes both ETO code and Inventor Add-in that show the UI and communicates to ETO model via Intent API.

For some part of the users the add-in hides main Inventor window (using addInSiteObject.Application.Visible = false) as they are supposed to interact with the model.

for users that have main Inventor window hidden, the application silently closes after ~10 minutes of idling (i.e. people start application, open the model and then just leave application running for some time without doing anything in it).

For those users who has main window visible everything works just fine.

The company use network license server for all users, but I don't have much of the details about that.

I was not able to reproduce the problem on my development environment, but I guess this is due to my license type (I have developer's license).

Does anybody know what that could be? Why hiding main Inventor window causes such a behavoiur?

Thanks,

Andrew.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You don't say what version is in use.  That should be the first part of any problem report.

I don't believe we have heard of this before.  It sounds like something is using a main window heartbeat as a failure sensor.  ETO does not do this itself, but licensing certainly could be involved.

What might be helpful is various log files, to see if the system reports a failure of some kind (like an activity timeout).  But in order to tell you what logs to look for, I need the OS version, OEM version and ETO version.

Message 3 of 8

Inventor ETO version 2014 (I guess with SPs installed)

I've been monitoring the InventorOEM.exe with Visual Studio attached, I've set catching all (not only managed) exceptions in Visual Studio settings.

Nothing has been catched, looks like application just existed normally.

There are no errors or excpetions in logs, there are no exception reporting tool that normally pops up when Inventor crashes.

There are no event logs that may indicate the error.

Message 4 of 8

Look for a log file in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\AdLM that seems appropriate (recently changed, right year, etc) that ends with *adlm.log.  See if it has any entries as the time of the exit.

All evidence so far is that something external to the process is killing it.

Message 5 of 8

Jack

There are no files newer than 90 days in that folder or its subfolders
Message 6 of 8

OK.  That is interesting.

I would next fire up ProcMon or SysMon and try to find out what is going on when it dies.

Message 7 of 8

Any specific events that I would need to focus on? 

ProcMon captures quite a lot of the data - what shall I look at first?

Message 8 of 8

I've temporarily resolved this issue by not hiding the Inventor window. However users would have to be limited in accessing the model and other Inventor controls (they supposed to see and use just our application window, but not Inventor).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report