Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Counting Holes so Slow?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
etckerry
559 Views, 2 Replies

Why is Counting Holes so Slow?

Hello,

I have written a routine to count the holes in a part.  It generates accurate counts, but it is incredibly slow - I can't figure out why.  Also, if I don't have the part checked out, it asks me if I want to check it out - I also cannot figure this out, since I am not modifying the document in any way.

It seems that the slow down and the "dirtying" occur at about the same place - on the "Continue For" lines in ProcessPattern.  Any ideas on either my speed issue or the dirtying issue?

I removed some code to clean up what needs to be shown here - consider the ProcessPart() method as the main function.

Public Class RivetCounter

Private counts As New Hashtable

Private Sub AddCount(ByVal diameter As Double, ByVal number As Integer)

If counts.ContainsKey(diameter) Then
            counts(diameter) = CType(counts(diameter), Integer) + number
        Else
            counts(diameter) = number
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub ProcessPart(ByRef part As Inventor.PartDocument, ByVal quantity As Integer)

Dim hole As Inventor.HoleFeature
        For Each hole In part.ComponentDefinition.Features.HoleFeatures
            ProcessHoleFeature(hole, quantity)
        Next hole

Dim rectPat As Inventor.RectangularPatternFeature
        For Each rectPat In part.ComponentDefinition.Features.RectangularPatternFeatures
            ProcessPattern(rectPat.ParentFeatures, quantity * rectPat.PatternElements.Count, rectPat.ConsumeInputs)
        Next rectPat

Dim circPat As Inventor.CircularPatternFeature
        For Each circPat In part.ComponentDefinition.Features.CircularPatternFeatures
            ProcessPattern(circPat.ParentFeatures, quantity * circPat.PatternElements.Count, circPat.ConsumeInputs)
        Next circPat

End Sub

Private Sub ProcessHoleFeature(ByRef hole As Inventor.HoleFeature, ByVal quantity As Integer)

' Apparently Inventor uses cm as internal units
        AddCount(hole.HoleDiameter.ModelValue / 2.54, quantity * hole.HoleCenterPoints.Count)

End Sub

Private Sub ProcessPattern(ByRef features As Inventor.ObjectCollection, ByVal quantity As Integer, ByVal consumeInputs As Boolean)

Dim i As Integer
        For i = 1 To features.Count
            ' Try to process the feature as each of the types we are interested in
            ' On failures, continue trying the next type of feature
            ' On success, continue with the next feature object

' HoleFeature
            Try
                Dim hole As Inventor.HoleFeature = CType(features(i), Inventor.HoleFeature)
                If consumeInputs Then
                    ProcessHoleFeature(hole, quantity)
                Else
                    ProcessHoleFeature(hole, quantity - 1)
                End If
                Continue For
            Catch ex As Exception
                ' Not a hole
            End Try

' RectangularPatternFeature
            Try
                Dim rectPat As Inventor.RectangularPatternFeature = CType(features(i), Inventor.RectangularPatternFeature)
                If consumeInputs Then
                    ProcessPattern(rectPat.ParentFeatures, quantity * rectPat.PatternElements.Count, rectPat.ConsumeInputs)
                Else
                    ProcessPattern(rectPat.ParentFeatures, quantity * (rectPat.PatternElements.Count - 1), rectPat.ConsumeInputs)
                End If
                Continue For
            Catch ex As Exception
                ' Not a rectangular pattern
            End Try

' CircularPatternFeature
            Try
                Dim circPat As Inventor.CircularPatternFeature = CType(features(i), Inventor.CircularPatternFeature)
                If consumeInputs Then
                    ProcessPattern(circPat.ParentFeatures, quantity * circPat.PatternElements.Count, circPat.ConsumeInputs)
                Else
                    ProcessPattern(circPat.ParentFeatures, quantity * (circPat.PatternElements.Count - 1), circPat.ConsumeInputs)
                End If
                Continue For
            Catch ex As Exception
                ' Not a circular pattern
            End Try
        Next i

End Sub

End Class

Thanks for your help!

-Kerry

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ekinsb
in reply to: etckerry

Wow, this was a tricky one to find.  Change your declaration of

Private Sub ProcessPattern(ByRef features As Inventor.ObjectCollection, ByVal quantity As Integer, ByVal consumeInputs As Boolean)

to

Private Sub ProcessPattern(ByVal features As Inventor.ObjectCollection, ByVal quantity As Integer, ByVal consumeInputs As Boolean)

It was reassigning the set of parent features for the pattern every time the sub returned.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 3
j.romo
in reply to: etckerry

Can you share the whole code?Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report