Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Lifecycle.

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
abekkering
462 Views, 2 Replies

Vault Lifecycle.

We are currently evaluating Vault Lifecycles for the purpose of moving to an evaluation of Vault Pro ECO.  So far we are fairly pleased with the process. However, we also use Vault for storage of other types of documents other than AutoCAD and Inventor files. This allows users a "one-stop" facility for needed data.  How should these other file types (spreadsheets, .pdf's, etc.) be brought into Vault and where should they be kept?  I am asking this because it seems by default - every item brought into Vault is being unnecessarily placed in a Lifecycle. Can this be avoided simply by placing these in a library?  What should the Vault libraries be used for?

Thanks - any advice is appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

From the Vault/Category Administration Help file :-

Category management provides a way to group project data logically. Grouping by category provides a means for assigning a defined set of behaviors and rules to objects.  A category labels Vault data and can assign user defined properties to all data in the Vault. Categories assigned to Vault data can also assign lifecycle definitions and revision schemes.

Files, folders, custom objects, and items do not necessarily have to be assigned to a category. Data that are not assigned to a category use the default behaviors defined for the vault.

Any object that is not specifically assigned to a category will be assigned to the default category determined for that entity class. All objects will always be assigned to a category as there is a default for files, folders, custom objects, and items.

How the files are brought into Vault basically falls into 2 workflows. 1) Add them manually and the 'Office' Category will be assigned automatically. 2) If your using Word or Excel use the Vault add-in for that software, if available, and the 'Office' Category will be assigned automatically.

Where you keep the files is completely up to you. I work on a 'per project' (or job) basis so I create a folder and store all CAD and support documents in the 1 folder. The support documents are in a sub-folder of the project folder.

Edit:- Your post should not be in this forum. It should be in the Vault forum.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 3

Thanks Brendan!  Our OFFICE category is now activated and customized to where non-Inventor files default into Office. Also thanks for letting me know I posted in the wrong forum for Vault issues.  I posted another question this morning in the Vault forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report