Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update iProperties without Inventor installed

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
FRPT1257
368 Views, 6 Replies

Update iProperties without Inventor installed

What is the best way using the API to update the iProperties without have the Inventor installed?

I want have a service in a server (without Inventor) that in background will update some values of the iProperties.

It is possible do this with Apprentice? If yes, it is enought  link to the dll "Autodesk.Inventor.Interop.dll" for doing this?

Thanks & Regards,

Rui

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mucip
in reply to: FRPT1257

Hi,

You must be doing this using VB-Express and API...

Regards,

Mucip:)

Message 3 of 7
FRPT1257
in reply to: mucip

I am calling the ApprenticeServerComponent from an C# Windows Service and I am getting the following error when using the ApprenticeServerComponent in C#:

"Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {C343ED84-A129-11D3-B799-0060B0F159EF} failed due to the following error: 80040154."

The error appears in the following line:

ApprenticeServerComponent oApprentice = new ApprenticeServerComponent();
Message 4 of 7
mucip

Hi,

I think it's better to check below website (and many others in this forum) first...

http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/03/iproperties-without-inventor-apprentice.html

Regards,

Mucip:)

Message 5 of 7
FRPT1257
in reply to: mucip

When I call the ApprenticeServerComponent from an C# WindowsFormsApplication works well.

If I call exactly the same ApprenticeServerComponent code from a C# WindowsService appears the error:

"Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {C343ED84-A129-11D3-B799-0060B0F159EF} failed due to the following error: 80040154."

The error appears in the following line:

ApprenticeServerComponent oApprentice = new ApprenticeServerComponent();

Message 6 of 7
philippe.leefsma

You may hit some restrictions when trying to run Apprentice from a Windows service. As you describe the situation, you should rather use a WCF service running on your server that will instanciate your Apprentice component and do the job, this is proven to work well.

You may use Node.js as well, as I was blogging about it there:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/cloud_and_mobile/2013/06/a-nodejs-server-running-apprentice-on-the-clo...

I hope it helps,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 7 of 7
FRPT1257
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

I have changed my code to call ApprenticeServerComponent from a webservice instead of the first approach of call ApprenticeServerComponent from a Windows Service.

But the problem is exactly the same, when webservice in IIS call the ApprenticeServerComponent I get exactly the same error. 😞

If I run webservice from VStudio works well, but when I publish it to IIS I get the same COM error.

What could I change in IIS to make it work?

Thanks & Regards,

Rui

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report