Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triangle mesh winding of facets from the Inventor API

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jeremy.herbert
475 Views, 4 Replies

Triangle mesh winding of facets from the Inventor API

Hi, 

Just a quick one which I can't seem to find the answer for (perhaps I am using the wrong keywords?). When you generate facets of a SurfaceBody using the Inventor API, are the triangles in the mesh guaranteed to have a particular winding? ie will they always be listed in a specific rotation with respect to the triangle normal?

Also, are the vertex normals generated always guaranteed to be outward facing by default? I understand this is the convention for meshes in general, but I'm not sure if Inventor does it.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ekinsb
in reply to: jeremy.herbert

Inventor follows the standard conventions.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 5
jeremy.herbert
in reply to: ekinsb

so does that mean normals always outward, vertex winding counterclockwise?

Message 4 of 5
ekinsb
in reply to: jeremy.herbert

Yes, normals will always point out when the mesh was generated from a solid.  If the mesh was generated from a surface, there isn't an "out" direction but it will be arbitrary and all of triangles in the mesh will be consistent.  The vertex winding is also consistent and is counterclockwise.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 5 of 5
jeremy.herbert
in reply to: ekinsb

Perfect. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report