Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talking to Inventor: Wait!

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
alyssaweaver
1795 Views, 25 Replies

Talking to Inventor: Wait!

I'm working on a replace program from the VBA editor. What I'm trying to do now is tie this all together. A set of files is renamed. That part is most of my program. From there, it allows you to select your assembly using an open file dialog and click open. When you open it it uses a silent operation to skip the "Oh no! I lost your files!" box. Now I'm on my link resolve issue.

So what I have is say, a couple files named:

UglyPonies-001.ipt

UglyPonies-002.ipt

UglyPonies-003.ipt

I've now renamed them to:
PrettyPonies-001.ipt

PrettyPonies-002.ipt

PrettyPonies-003.ipt

and I've opened up:

PrettyPonies-004.iam

To identify these files, I have two modules called OldNameiLoop and NewNameiLoop. It concatenates a file path adding on a suffix and adding one to it each time. Originally I had a MsgBox set up to display this file name, but I've now deleted it. I will post the codes below. So what I'm trying to do now is basically tell Inventor to replace the component OldNamePath with NewNamePath and then add i + 1 to the prefix name and do that same with that path. Anyone have any idea of how to tell Inventor to do that?

OldNameiLoop:

Option Explicit

Public Sub OldNameiLoop()

Dim i As Double
    Dim NameStr2 As String
    Dim OldNamePath As String

NameStr2 = Renamer.Old_Name_Display.Text
    OldNamePath = NameStr & "-" & Right("00" & i, 3) & ".ipt"

Do While i < 99
    i = i + 1
        If 'Something Happens Here' Then
        '3-character string created by using the Right() function
    Next i
        Else: Exit Sub
        End If

Loop
    End Sub

NewNameiLoop:

Option Explicit

Public Function NewNameiLoop()

Dim i As Double
    Dim NameStr As String
    Dim NewNamePath As String

NameStr = Renamer.New_Name.Text
    NewNamePath = Renamer.Path_Text.Text & "\" + NameStr & "-" & Right("00" & i, 3) & ".ipt"

Do While i < 99                               'Counts with the file name up to -099
    i = i + 1
        If 'Something happens here' Then
    Loop

Else: Exit Function

End If

End Function

ReplaceComponent:

Option Explicit

Public Function ReplaceComponent()

Dim oOccurrence As ComponentOccurrence
    Set oOccurrence = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.ComponentDefinition.Occurrences.OldNamePath
    oOccurrence.Replace NewNamePath, True

End Function

This all links to UserForm3 when the user clicks "Open":

Private Sub Open_Button_Click()

ThisApplication.SilentOperation = True                'Suppresses the resolve links dialog

Dim myPath As String
    myPath = FileName.Text                                              'Gets the string, FileName, from module 1
    Dim Shell As Object
    Set Shell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    Shell.Open (myPath)                                                      'Opens selected file

Resolve_and_Open.Hide                                               'Hides module

ReplaceComponent

End Sub

Best Wishes,
Ali

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
"It's a screwdriver, not a water pistol! What are you gonna do? Construct a cabinet at them?!"
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
adam.nagy
in reply to: alyssaweaver

Hi,

If the files are exactly the same, you only change their name then using ReplaceReference would be the best choice, you could even use it outside Inventor through Apprentice: 

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/manufacturing/2012/08/replace-the-file-reference-by-inventor-api.html

So what you could do is:

1) Make copy of part files (e.g. using windows API) with the name you want

2) Open assemblies that use these parts

3) Use ReplaceReference to change their references to the new parts

4) You can delete the old part files

In this case Inventor would not come up with the message dialog about missing references. 

Cheers,

Adam 

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 3 of 26
DeerSpotter

'Define the open document
Dim openDoc As Document
openDoc = ThisDoc.Document

'Look at all of the files referenced in the open document
Dim docFile As Document
For Each docFile In openDoc.AllReferencedDocuments                
'format  file name                   
Dim FNamePos As Long
FNamePos = InStrRev(docFile.FullFileName, "\", -1)                        
Dim docFName As String 
docFName = Right(docFile.FullFileName, Len(docFile.FullFileName) - FNamePos) 

Reverse Engineer the following code to do what you want it to do. Cheers!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
..........................................................................................................................

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 4 of 26
alyssaweaver

@Adam

We don't have access to Apprentice here. Or vault.

Do you know how to solve the actual problem? Even your way does not solve the problem, as it still needs to be able to cycle through the program by according to their suffixes.

Because we don't have access to either of the programs listed above, I created a program that does just that using the VBA editor. It makes a copy of the specified folder in to my C:\ drive under "InventorTempFolder", which later gets deleted once the user clicks cancel or the entire operation finishes. It then uses a code that renames the suffixes according to the user input using the old path, the old prefix name, and a new prefix name. Finally, in form 3, the user has the opportunity to browse the assemblies based on the previously chosen directory. When the user clicks Open, it uses a silent operation to open the assembly without error messages. I will include some JPEGs of the program in action below.

Now what I need to do is be able to cycle through and replace the components. I just can't figure out what syntax I should use in my NewNameiLoop and OldNameiLoop to get it to cycle through properly. Once it is able to do this, I just need to fix a couple of bugs and it will be completely. I am considering posting the full code on this forum in the end, depending on if my company allows me too. I have seen several people with this problem.

browser.png

renamer.png

renamer.png

Best Wishes,
Ali

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
"It's a screwdriver, not a water pistol! What are you gonna do? Construct a cabinet at them?!"
Message 5 of 26
DeerSpotter

can you .zip the test folder and attach it here for us to test?

With the ilogic implemented. It would make it so much easier for us to figure it out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 6 of 26
alyssaweaver
in reply to: DeerSpotter

I haven't added in the code for SkipButton_Click yet, just a heads up

Best Wishes,
Ali

Message 7 of 26
adam.nagy

Hi Ali,

Did you mean to attach something to your last comment?

Apprentice is part of Inventor. See how it can be used: http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/03/iproperties-without-inventor-apprentice.html

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Message 8 of 26
alyssaweaver

This should be fairly updated, Adam. The VBA code is included as well.

Best Wishes,
Ali

Message 9 of 26
alyssaweaver

Updated Module 4 Code (It still doesn't work, but it's made some progress):

Option Explicit
Public i As Integer
Public oOccurrence As ComponentOccurrence

Public Sub ReplaceComponent()
    Dim NameStr As String
    Dim NewNamePath As String

Dim NameStr2 As String
    Dim OldNamePath As String

NameStr = Renamer.New_Name.Text               'Concatenates the full new file path
    NewNamePath = Renamer.Path_Text.Text & "\" + NameStr & "-" & Right("00" & i, 3) & ".ipt"

NameStr2 = Renamer.Old_Name_Display.Text      'Concatenates the old file NAME
    OldNamePath = NameStr2 & "-" & Right("00" & i, 3) & ".ipt"

'Creates a ton of errors that have been giving me a headache
        Dim oOcc As ComponentOccurrence

For Each oOcc In ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.ComponentDefinition.Occurrences
            If oOcc.ReferencedDocumentDescriptor.FullDocumentName = OldNamePath Then
        Set oOccurrence = oOcc
            End If
            Do While i < 99
        oOcc.Replace NewNamePath, True
            Exit For

If i = 99 Then
        DeletetheDirectory
                                                  'Will close the file
    Resolve_and_Open.Show vbModal                 'Reopens form 3 to select the next assembly
            Else:     For i = 1 To 99 Step 1
            Next i

End If
            Loop

End Sub

Best Wishes,
Ali

Message 10 of 26
alyssaweaver

New update, it seems the problem is stemming from "ComponentDefinition". I'm going to make a new thread about this one.

Best Wishes,
Ali

Message 11 of 26
adam.nagy

Hi Ali,

As I said, if the files are exactly the same, you just moved them or renamed them, then you could do it using ReplaceReference.

It should also be faster because in this case Inventor does not have to try to hook things up again with the new document.

And in that case you do not have to care about the ComponentDefinition either.

Somehting like this:

Dim f As File
        Set f = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.File

Dim fd As FileDescriptor
        For Each fd In f.ReferencedFileDescriptors
            ' This is based on the current location
            ' so if the file got renamed before the
            ' assembly was opened, then it might have been
            ' resolved to the wrong document
            If fd.FullFileName = OldNamePath Then
                fd.ReplaceReference (NewNamePath)
            End If
        Next

To avoid working with references pointing at the wrong files the easiest thing is if you keep the original documents until the end of the update process. 

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Message 12 of 26
alyssaweaver
in reply to: adam.nagy

This gives me a run-time error '-2147467261 (80004003)' Method 'ThisApplication" of Object 'VbaApplication' failed...when I click help it tells me "Unable to Open Help". When I click help from there it opens help to explain to me what "Unable to Open Help" means...

I think I understand what you're saying about the replace references now, but do you know why it would give me that error? I've used "ThisApplication" several times with no problems until now.

Thanks,

Ali

Best Wishes,
Ali

Message 13 of 26
adam.nagy

So the helpfile was very helpful 🙂

This is the only thing I've found - not sure if it has anything to do with what you're doing:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-Customization/ThisApplication-doesn-t-work-with-a-parameter-V...

If not, could you provide the steps how you are running the code?

Did you copy paste the code from the forum? Sometimes people had issues with funny characters in iLogic and parameter names when copying code form the net.

Maybe you could play around with removing spaces around the words? 

Have a nice weekend!

Adam Nagy
Message 14 of 26
alyssaweaver

So it changed its mind and is okay with that now. But now has a run-time error 91 object or with block variable not set starting on this line:

Set f = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.File

If I delete the ".File" part and then put it right back, it moves on to the same error on this line:

For Each fd In f.ReferencedFileDescriptors

Best Wishes,
Ali

Message 15 of 26
alyssaweaver

I see your note about it possibly resolving to the wrong location, and that could make sense, but it won't even compile

Best Wishes,
Ali

Message 16 of 26
adam.nagy

Then it does sounds like a character issue - e.g. the new line character is not correct or at the end of the word there is an invisible special character.

I think some people tried copying the whole code to notepad, clean it up if needed, then copy/paste it back into the iLogic editor.

Adam Nagy
Message 17 of 26
alyssaweaver

Wait, aren't iLogic and VBA separate? Sorry, I'm still new to this 🙂

And I'll do that.

Best Wishes,
Ali

Message 18 of 26
adam.nagy

It's difficult to keep track of who is using what 🙂 - and I missed that you were using the "Set" keyword.

Yes, VBA and iLogic are different, but what you said about deleting a word and then putting it back suddenly makes the error disappear from a given line of code does seem to suggest that some funny invisible characters could be causing it.

Adam Nagy
Message 19 of 26
alyssaweaver

Also I went on through Notepad and "cleaned it up". I got the same error again.

Best Wishes,
Ali

Message 20 of 26
alyssaweaver

I feel like it's probably "ActiveDocument" causing it. So basically the same problem it had last week, but with a different way of telling me. I don't understand why though. "ActiveDocument" should be perfectly acceptable lingo

Best Wishes,
Ali

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report