Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security concern: how to prevent DLL addin from reverse-engineering?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
liminma8458
428 Views, 4 Replies

Security concern: how to prevent DLL addin from reverse-engineering?

We create a greate deal of DLL addins for Inventor using microsoft VB.NET.  The code security is very important to us. I hear certain program such " Lutz Roeder's Reflector " can reverse engineer the DLL assemblies and get the actual code from it. This would cause concern when we deploy the DLL to various users.

So, is it true that DLL from VB.NET (or C# and C++) is so vulnerable from reverse engineering? if yes, what is any practice to add security to it?

It is a surprise there is no message in this forum on this imporant issue. Hope someone can help out or shed a light on that.

Thanks a lot

Thanks
Limin
Inventor pro 2023 64 bit update 2.1; Windows 10 pro 64 bit version 21H2; Office 2013 32 bit
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
matt_jlt
in reply to: liminma8458

You are correct about the code being reversable and there are lots of programs to achieve this.

There are some things you can do do protect your addins but there is nothing stopping someone with enough skills from bypassing any security you use.You have to weigh up if it is worth protecting your addins as it requires more time & effort and if you go for a third party solution, cost is an issue.

Here are a few things you can do that will provide some basic protection.

* Compile using the signed dll option (I don't do this because it's a pain updating & installing etc.)

* Use obfuscation (google for more info, lots of software to choose from)

* Use a built in protection of your own design (this won't provide much security unless your a codeing genius [which I am not ] but at least it will provide a deterrent for someone who just tries to flat out copy and paste the addins)

* Use a third party protection (lots to choose from but make sure it is implemented correctly as the weak point in a lot of third party software is how people implement it)

I use a basic serial number protection for only a handful of my addins and the rest I don't bother because it's not worth the extra time for me to do it and I share them around anyway.

Hope this info helps you out. Google is your friend on this one, plenty of info out there.

Regards, Matt.

Message 3 of 5
liminma8458
in reply to: matt_jlt

Matt,

Thank you very much. Your information is very helpful.

Looks like I have to add some disguised code or take out all the comments to make the possible-reversable code more difficult to follow. Is it another way?  ^_^

Thanks again

Thanks
Limin
Inventor pro 2023 64 bit update 2.1; Windows 10 pro 64 bit version 21H2; Office 2013 32 bit
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

I do not see more ways than Matt advised. You may need to google to choose the way which is best to you.

Message 5 of 5
bsee1
in reply to: liminma8458

It is my understanding that code that is reverse engineered using these tools will already have the comments removed.  The comments are of no use to the compiler, and therefore not compiled into the .dll or .exe you are creating.

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report