Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save configuration using roaming profile

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
eyal.s
1327 Views, 4 Replies

save configuration using roaming profile

Hi, 

Inventor 2013 on win7 64bit

In our College we use roaming profiles.

If I make changes to configuration while profile is "open" we run into lots of trouble including total dis-functioning of the mold design and OS does not recognize the inventor file extensions and more problems.

A work around solution we found is to completely un install the program from one computer while the profile is "open" so there will be no association between the profile and the local installations on all computers.

However, now I can not save the configuration changes in any of the class computers. ( our OS disk is protected against permanent changes and will reset itself on any restart\ reboot, unless an administrator does them).

I tried making changes to the configuration both as administrator user and also when giving the local user administrator privileges, but with no successes.

After rebooting, we lose  all configurations.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Dr. Eyal Sheffer

Shenkar College of Engineering and Design

Israel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
adam.nagy
in reply to: eyal.s

Hi,

What about writing some utility that saves the necessary files to a network device before the system is shut down and then restores them when the system is started?

Cheers, 

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 3 of 5
eyal.s

Thank you,...
However, it seems a little more complicated:
In our College, we install Inventor on many computers so the students can use at their own time. There is also an installation in some computer classes(clusters).
As a policy of the College, all public computers including the clusters are protected against changes in disk C: where the operating system is, and specifically, many configuration files are stored on a network server and downloaded when a computer is restarted .(this is called roaming profile)

So, the problem is in downloading the configurations of INVENTOR. If the roaming profile holds any specific information belongs to Inventor, there is some unknown problem and some features would not work at all (the icons are not recognized and more important, all the mold design is not working.)
A workaround we figured out is to break the sync of the roaming profile with the local computers (only with regards to Inventor). But now there is still no way to make configuration changes to a local computer and keep them after a restart. (the changes are probably written to the registry)

If we knew exactly where those changes are saved to the registry, maybe we could find a way to solve this problem.
Any Ideas?
Eyal

Message 4 of 5
xiaodong_liang

Hi,

for the question "where those changes are saved to the registry", I'd suggest you post it on product board, probably the product expert would be able to help.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/bd-p/78

Message 5 of 5
RPdAnjou

I do not have any experience with this, but maybe you can use folder redirection for some of the data in the roaming profiles so that the data will be on the network share and not on the workstation where you can not store (and hold) any changes.

See this online manual:

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/08/best-practice-roaming-profiles-and-folder-redirection-a-k-a-user-...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report