Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry free addin won't load

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
bsee1
3504 Views, 13 Replies

Registry free addin won't load

I've created a sletched symbol addin using the new registry free template, but I can't get it to load.  I'll list what I've already tried. Can someone help point out what the problem might be?

Here's a link to show what I see in inventor: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46698764/ms6%20wont%20load.PNG

• The addin builds with no errors in Visual Studio
  • I've double checked that the manifest file is embedded in the dll
  • The .addin file has the correct path to the dll file
  • The .addin file is located with the rest of the .addin files inside the Inventor programdata addins folder
  • The dll is located in the inventor 2012 install folder inside the bin folder
  • The addin is set to load on startup

Is there some kind of log that might show why an addin didn't load?  

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
matt_jlt
in reply to: bsee1

Hi,

I'm almost positive your problem is coming from the fact that you have spaces in your addin name. Try replacing them with an underscore.

I had the same problem and it took me ages to work out why it wouldn't load. It was very frustrating.

Regards, Matt.

Message 3 of 14
bsee1
in reply to: matt_jlt

I just removed all the spaces in the dll name, and anywhere else it was referenced in the code.  I also removed the spaces from the .addin file and config files.  It still didn't work.

Any other ideas? I'm really looking for some kind of error log. Inventor can see the addin, but somethign must be going wrong when it tries to load.  I don't know where to look for an error log for registry free addins.

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1
Message 4 of 14
FarrenYoung

If you haven't already, you should make sure your dll is built for .Net framework 3.5 and not 4.0

--Farren

************************************************************************************
If this post helps, please click the "thumbs up" to give kudos
If this post answers your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
************************************************************************************
Message 5 of 14
bsee1
in reply to: FarrenYoung

Thank you. That solved half of my problem.  Now that I have it working, I'll leave this here for anyone else that has trouble.

To build a registry free addin, start here:http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/02/migrate-net-add-ins-to-registry-free.html

• Make sure your addin contains no spaces
  • Develop using .NET 3.5
  • Your .addin file must not contain blank lines

If you develop with .NET 4, Inventor will see your addin, but not load it

If your .addin file has blank lines, Inventor will not even see your addin

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1
Tags (2)
Message 6 of 14
davidhog

I am having the same problem. I checked the items from the previous posts with on luck.

the Lab_10_Complete_AddIn_Add_To_Ribbon works just fine. I am working in C#. Inventor sees the Addin but will not load it. and in the "Debug" window I get a yellow ! icon on the break point.

I noticed when debuging the Autodesk sample that inventor pauses during it's load until the addin is built. On mine it just starts like normal ( ie. my addin isn't loading). I have tried several different attemps at a simple addin using both VB.net and C#. Following the tutorials on Mod the Machine with the same result. Any clues?

Win 7 Ult. x64 VS2010.

Message 7 of 14
JohanLarsson
in reply to: FarrenYoung

@FarrenYoung wrote:

If you haven't already, you should make sure your dll is built for .Net framework 3.5 and not 4.0

Is there a way to be able to ues .net 4.0 in Inventor 2012?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2012 SP1 (25 seats with subscription)
Windows 7 64 bit
Lenovo D20, 12 GB RAM, Intel Xeon X5687 3.6 GHz, SSD
Quadro 4000, driver 8.17.12.9573, dual monitors
SpacePilot, driver version 6.15.3 Firmware 3.12
Message 8 of 14
FarrenYoung
in reply to: JohanLarsson

I know this thread is very old, but I just noticed this question.

Yes you can use .NET 4.0 in Inventor 2012, but not with registry free addins. You will have to use the registry based addin method in order for it to load properly.
--Farren

If this post helps, please click the "thumbs up" to give kudos
If this post answers your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
Message 9 of 14

@FarrenYoung how use .net 4.0 in Inventor 2012? you have example of registration?
Message 10 of 14

I've just been struggling with this exact same issue for at least 6 hours.  I had tried creating black projects and no matter what I did, I could NOT get them to load.  They would be visible in Inventor 2018, but would not load.  Then I came across this thread and I saw the part about "no spaces in your add-in filename" and that was actually the problem.  I seriously can't effing believe that I have wasted so much time trying to figure out something as simple as this.  SERIOUSLY Autodesk........could you not give us a guideline as to the conventions we have to follow to avoid crap like this?  It's nowhere in the documentation that I can find.  And the fact that this happens after compile and on-load there is zero feedback from Visual Studios or Inventor as to what actually went wrong.

I tried changing between x86 and x64, I tried changing .Net versions, I even went back to basics and tried to just get a **** msgbox to pop up on load and nothing would work.  The whole time it was because I use SPACES in my assembly name?????!?!?!   Ridiculous.

Message 11 of 14
bradeneuropeArthur

Please read the readme file in the add in template of inventor.

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 12 of 14

This is the Readme file:

If you follow this it should work.

please make sure that the .addin file is correctly defined with the correct paths and .dll names!!!!!!!!!!!!

How to Register/Unregister 
	=======================

1) Build Project;

2) Copy add-in dll file to one of following locations: 
		a) Anywhere, then *.addin file <Assembly> setting should be updated to the full path including the dll name
		b) Inventor <InstallPath>\bin\ folder, then *.addin file <Assembly> setting should be the dll name only: <AddInName>.dll
		c) Inventor <InstallPath>\bin\XX folder, then *.addin file <Assembly> setting shoule be a relative path: XX\<AddInName>.dll

3) Copy.addin manifest file to one of following locations:
		a) Inventor Version Dependent
		Windows XP:
			C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Inventor ####\Addins\
		Windows7 8 10/Vista:
			C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor ####\Addins\

b) Inventor Version Independent
		Windows XP:
			C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Inventor Addins\
		Windows7 8 10/Vista:
			C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor Addins\

c) Per User Override
		Windows XP:
			C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Autodesk\Inventor ####\Addins\
		Windows7 8 10/Vista:
			C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Inventor ####\Addins\

4) Startup Inventor, the AddIn should be loaded

To unregister the AddIn, remove the Autodesk.<AddInName>.Inventor.addin from above mentioned .addin manifest file locations directly.

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 13 of 14

I read that Readme line-by-line when I was trying to troubleshoot my issue.

Please point out the section where it highlights that your addin name must NOT CONTAIN SPACES.

Message 14 of 14

Hi,

I do not see the issue like blank spaced because I know this is one of the things that should be prevented referencing dll's.

but I will try to help you.

Could you please copy and paste the content of the .addin file in notepad?

And upload or post it.

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report