Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem loading old Add-in in Inventor 2011/Windows7

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
tclayton
1383 Views, 8 Replies

Problem loading old Add-in in Inventor 2011/Windows7

Recently we upgraded our systems to Inventor 2011 on Windows 7, from 2010 on XP Pro. (Obviously the add-in ran fine there). I also downloaded and installed VB 2010 Express and migrated the add-in project. I rebuilt the solution on VB2010 (running AS Administrator) and got no errors. The Add-in shows in the regisrty, but does not appear in the add-in manager. I did not run the .bat file to register the add-in, I just let VB do it when it built the solution.

Is there something about the new system I dont know?  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
YuhanZhang
in reply to: tclayton

Are you working on a 64bit machine?

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
tclayton
in reply to: YuhanZhang

Yes, I forgot to mention that earlier, the previous (XP) machine and the new one are both 64-bit

Message 4 of 9
KentKeller

VB6 Addins won't run on 64 bit machines.  They need to be rewritten in .Net

Kent Keller
KWiKMcad

Message 5 of 9
tclayton
in reply to: KentKeller

These were originally written on VB 2008 Express, then migrated to VB 2010 Express.  Like I said, they ran on a 64-bit machine before.

Message 6 of 9
tclayton

Additionally I've tried registering the Addin using the .bat file.  Error message below

RegAsm |: error RA0000 : Failed to load 'C:\VB2010 Projects\Projects\EventMonitor\EventMonitor\bin\EventMonitor.dll' because it is not a valid .NET assembly

Press any key to continue...

Message 7 of 9
tclayton

I think I've solved the issue, VB Express 2010 apparently works in a .NET Framework that either Windows 7 or Inventor 2011 doesn't care for.

I uninstalled VB 2010, deleted the migrated project files and registered the older ones built in VB 2008 Express. They run

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I had the same issue migrating to Express2010 and found out its because 2010 uses framework 4

here is what i did to register my old 2008 dll's after migrating them to 2010.

@echo off
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /codebase "C:\MyAddins\MyAddins.dll"
Pause

This works fine for all my migratet Express 2008 projects.

Only disadvantage is that if you migrate to 2010 you need to install framework 4 on all machines where you want to install your addins? and all win Xp computer must be upgrated to sp3?

Hope this helps you.

Regards Kent boettger.

Message 9 of 9
tclayton

Very Good,
I'll give that a try,

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report