Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patterning a part along a 3D Sketch using Pattern Component

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
563 Views, 6 Replies

Patterning a part along a 3D Sketch using Pattern Component

I know this has probably been beat to death but I can't find the step that I am missing, it's probably extremely obvious:

Need help on step 6, bold text.

Steps 1-6 show the method I am using to pattern a part in an assembly along a 3D curve.

1. create a new part. In the part draw a 3D spiral, the length of the stairway with a suitable number of turns.
2. draw a feature (cube, cylinder etc) that you can then pattern along this curve. The feature can be anything. Its going to be used as a reference later. To pattern it use a rectangular pattern, but select the spiral as the direction. You need to adjust the setting of the pattern to make the feature orientation adjust as it patterns along the spiral.
3. create a model of a step
4. create a new assembly file and assemble the spiral part.
5. assemble the step to into the assembly
6 pattern the step using the patterned feature in the spiral part as the reference. The step will be patterned the same number of times as the feature in the spiral

Step 6 in bold is where I am not getting it:  When I select "Pattern" in the Assemble Tab(in my assembly), I can select my part as the component, but my rectangular pattern does not show up anywhere in the browser or on-screen as the "Feature Pattern Selection" option.

3D Problems.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you're asking what I think you're asking, you need to switch from assembly view to modeling view on the top left.

Hope that was it.

Dave

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

That was it! Thanks a bunch!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

So with that original little issue solved, I've run into a problem with the pattern:

PATTERN ERR.png

It should be "wrapping around the centerpole, but instead it is attaching the point of the helical pattern to the edge of the part and not rotating it.  Any clues here??

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Ok, this is going to be a little vague because I'm not anywhere near a seat of inventor, but...

There is a setting in the pattern feature window called something like pattern along the curve. To get to this setting, you have to expand the pattern feature dialog (there's a double arrow button on the bottom right, I think). I think there are three possible settings there (Natural, Along curve, and extra crispy - sorry, can't recall). But I think the one you want is along the curve.

Once again, sorry if my memory is not perfect. I can answer on Monday with a screenshot, but I figured I would respond as soon as I saw this. I remember struggling with this until I found that solution.

Hope that does it. Looks like a cool model.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Perfect....I took a screen shot of the option:

pattern.png

Again, thanks a bunch!

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Glad to help.

I was way off on the name of those options. I blame thanksgiving. Thanks for posting the screenshot

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report