Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notch a FG part with a not-FG part

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
TONELLAL
580 Views, 10 Replies

Notch a FG part with a not-FG part

Hello,

I'm looking how to notch a FG part with another part, wich can be a not-FG part.

I can know if a part is or not a FG part, using ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.DocumentInterests. For example, I use "DocumentInterests.item("FrameMemberDoc")" to work only on FG member in an assembly.

I tried to add FG document interest on a standard part, with :

ClientId = "{AC211AE0-A7A5-4589-916D-81C529DA6D17}"

Name = "FrameMemberDoc"
ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.DocumentInterests.Add ClientId, Name, kInterested

The part has now FG as DocumentInterests item, but I can't use it to notch a FG member.

Has anyone ever tried ? Any idea welcome !

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
salariua
in reply to: TONELLAL

I think it's not enough to declare it as a FG component.In order to participate in frame generator notches it needs to be Authored as a Structural Shape.

You don't need to have it as an ipart or published to CC but needs authored and the base extrusion profle of the part declared in the process (notch seems optional because you might want to use and offset sketch as your notch for clearance and assembly).

Here is an image. to authorgo go Manage/Author/Structural Shape drop down list.

2014-12-18_07-53-31.png

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
TONELLAL
in reply to: salariua

I tried only authoring the part as Structural Shape, as it did not work I tried to declare it as a FG part too (with DocumentInterest).

The aim is to be able to select the part to create the notch, using a part manually inserted : green part is FG, red part is not FG, it can be placed anywhere along the green one. But I need to use it to noth the green part.

2014-12-18_11h10_28.png

Message 4 of 11
salariua

I understand what you're trying to do now. I have authored a plate trying to get it to work with frame generator and failed as well.... 

will keep trying.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 5 of 11
xiaodong_liang

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you explicitly add a kind of FG DocumentInterest to a standard part, in order to make the part to be a FG part?

If yes, I do not think this is feasible by simply adding the interest. The mechanism of DocumentInterests was provided to allow clients to specify that the document contains data that was added by them, so that such documents can be identified in an easy and lightweight manner. While a FG part would contain some more configuration (such as the companion file: Frame Reference Model).

The choice might be publishing the standard part to Content Center>>FG.

Message 6 of 11
salariua
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

Surely there must be an easier way. the mechanism is there, when notching other frame components so why not making it available for any part? I totally sympathize with this request and I can see it's merit.

Publishing all sort of parts in CC is not an option.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 7 of 11
TONELLAL
in reply to: salariua

Even if the part is published as FG part, if it is not inserted with FG command it is not recognized to notch. The aim when I add Documentinterest was to be able to select the part in the Notch command.

Message 8 of 11
xiaodong_liang

Hi salariua, TONELLAL,

I checked with engineer team and got the following information:
About converting a standard part to FG part, adding Interest to document is not enough. Actually, when we create a FG part, we add Interest and set property as well, the most important thing is that we maintain our own Data Model. So I think it’s impossible for customer do this explicitly.

Sorry if this is a bad news for you.And sorry to know it does not either help if publishing part to Content Center. I can log a wish for the ability.
Message 9 of 11
TONELLAL

Ok, pity it is impossible to do... We often use parts in FG which are not inserted by FG (for example on the picture above), this could be very useful. Thanks to log a wish !

Best regards,

Message 10 of 11
xiaodong_liang

Hi,

The wish I logged is:
#TFS-48161: API Wish - Notch a FG part with a not-FG part (Convert standard part to FG part)

Message 11 of 11
salariua

Thanks.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report