Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-threaded through the API

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
filat
1031 Views, 4 Replies

Multi-threaded through the API

You can organize a multi-threaded work with data through Inventor API? For example, there is a assembly and I need the first part of assembling a list of items to consider in a data set, the second part of the list - in the second data set, the third - the third and so on up to N, where N - depends on how many threads can run in the system . Whether these flows are processed and to receive data in parallel? Or go to the consistent implementation of this algorithm will first be processed by the first part, and only after it will start the second ...?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
philippe.leefsma
in reply to: filat

Hi,

Basically the Inventor API is not multi threaded, so there is little advantage to write a multi-threaded application if several threads are going to perform API calls. What will happen is that each call will be queued by the COM server and processed sequentially. You can however have a multi-theaded application where a single thread access the Inventor API and other threads perform custom logic, either by using the data stored by the Inventor thread, access your custom database and so on...

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 5

Has the multi-threaded status of the Inventor API changed?

Message 4 of 5

Hi Eric,

No and there is no plan to provide multi-threaded capabilities to the API in a near future unfortunately. I would say, for the reason I provided above, as long as the API is a COM API, you have no chance to see it multi-threaded.

Regards,

Philippe. 

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 5 of 5

Opening up this old thread for discussion again.

@philippe.leefsma- What will happen if we query geometry (brep) information from multiple parts in a Parallel.ForEach loop in the same inventor session? Will Inventor Crash or will the COM server make the parallel task sequential?

Thanks,

Amitabh Mukherjee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report