Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Minimizing part size (on the disk) by suppressing certain features

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
269 Views, 1 Reply

Minimizing part size (on the disk) by suppressing certain features

I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a way to suppress features in a part to reduce it's size in the computer memory and have it be a setting: kind of like when working with an assembly that has multiple levels of detail and you suppress specific parts by just selecting a given LOD and not searching for each part every time. Basically we are working on a very large overall assembly (submarine sails with structure, and many sub-systems) with thousands of individual pieces. With the many 3D surfaces the files get huge. I have been working on the cat-walk grating inside the sail, which is expanded metal, made by an extruding the diamond shape then arraying it across the panel. When i do it this way it looks pretty realistic (which the navy brass loves to see) but it's a very big file. I have also removed the diamond cuts and then applied the ExpandedMetal01 Document Appearance, which i can turn on and off using the Part view representation (View:) in the browser, this makes a smaller file but it's not as realistic. Basically what I want to do is have one "level of detail" with the cuts & array and a solid color applied for a more realistic look (close ups in Inventor Studio), then have another "level of detail" with the cuts & array suppressed and the ExpandedMetal01 appearance applied for a smaller file (wide shots in Inventor Studio). With many parts to work with a Level of Detail type set-up would make things faster and easier to change. Sorry it's so long winded. Thanks for any advice.

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Firstly, are you looking for a way by UI or by code (API)? If the formmer, I'd like suggest you post the question for Inventor board: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/bd-p/78. just what I know, probably Substitute would be able to help you.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0126-Tutorial126/0127-Inventor127/0380-Substitu3...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report