Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linear diametric dimension not perpendicular to workaxis?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
MTHulli
357 Views, 3 Replies

linear diametric dimension not perpendicular to workaxis?

Hi everybody,

When I create a linear diametric dimension between a curve segment and a workaxis, the result is not as I would expect.

The same input with "vertical dimension type" works just fine (but is not what I need).

Is assume this is related to the shape of my curve;

the start- and end point of the curve are not horizontal and this angle also infuences the

dimension line.

-that's just a theory, I didn't test it-

Anyway, does anybody know a solution or workaround?

I don't want to use a vertical dimension and overwrite the dimension value,

and also prefer not to use the drawingcurves behind the workaxis. (want to make them invisible later on)

As a side note, I don't seem to be able to create a linear diametric dimension between an arc  and some other line manually.

Is the maybe an "unsupported feature"?

Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
in reply to: MTHulli

Hi,

I drawn similar part and did not have any problem with dimensions. Can you send me your part on sovljaned@gmail.com

Regards,

Nedeljko.

Message 3 of 4
MTHulli
in reply to: MTHulli

I gave it a few more tries, and the only way I can make it work is be using the "center geom intent" of the drawing curve in the picture (green).

If I select one of the other lines in the top, the dimension is again crooked.

(fyi; this drawing view is actually a "1 quarter bottom view", the line in green & where the dimension start in the bottom are part of the same face)

I don't consider this a solution but it's good enough untill someone comes with a better idea.

Capture2.PNG

failed example:

this one is by using the green line in the top as "geom intent"

the rest of the code is just the same.

Capture4.PNG

Message 4 of 4
MTHulli
in reply to: 16101972

Today, Nedeljko came with a nice solution to this. All credits to him.

As you can see in the screenshot at the top of the page, the dimension on the left is good.

The idea is to first create a dimension from a centerline to a straight line,

and afterwards change the geometric intent from the line to the top point of the curve.

Capture5.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report