Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iProperty fields in form updated on Part selection

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
VGonsalves
674 Views, 7 Replies

iProperty fields in form updated on Part selection

Hi All

We have recently migrated our production work to Autodesk Invetor. We have a condition or rather a requirement to constantly keep a check on the iProperties of a part while in an Assembly file.

So I thought the best way to do so is to have a form which float's in one of the corners of the screen and updates the fields based on the item selected. Is this possible?

We mostly have parts one level below the assembly, occassionally we have them as a sub-assembly. We do not have any more levels ( hope I am using the right terms )

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jletcher
in reply to: VGonsalves

Hum not understanding.

Why do you need to watch an iproperty? They don't change unless you are leaving something out in your description of your needs..Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
VGonsalves
in reply to: jletcher

James

We have a couple of custom properties that need to be filled out for the part drawing to be of any use to us. So if there is a persistent form while displays empty cells that will force the user to enter values in it. Also one of the important one is the length of the part. It is the length of a dimensioned sketch which shows up in parameters and hence checked out for export. There are times that the sketch does not update accurately and hence the length in custom iproperties shows up incorrectly. We need that length to show accurately so that the bar legnths get cut to the right size prior to processing using the step files from Inventor. 

I hope I have been able to explain myself and not confuse anyone.

Hope you have a solution for me.

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
jletcher

The length you speak of is this a symbol or text within a BOM or title block?

Message 5 of 8
VGonsalves
in reply to: jletcher

Sorry for the late reply.

The length that I am talking about is the length of a part which is extruded. It is a driven dimension which updates if the part is stretched. In most cases it works fine but at times the sketch doesn't updated (for whatever reason) and hence if the user can see that the length field looks incorrect or is empty then will take adequate action to fix the issue.

The above is to reply to your question but my question still remains unanswered.......... How to create a persistent form that updates with data from the selected part.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Message 6 of 8

>There are times that the sketch does not update accurately and 
     >hence the length in custom iproperties shows up incorrectly.

You may initiate assembly “Rebuild All” from the iLogic Rule in the top assembly document. Executing this rule just before saving assembly should help you have always updated sketches and hence updated lengths in parameters and in iProperties.

Code of the RebuilsAll rule for assembly document: 

'=== Assembly Rebuild All ===
' reference to CommandManager 
Dim oCommandMgr As CommandManager = ThisApplication.CommandManager
' command definition: Assembly Rebuild All
Dim oControlDef As ControlDefinition = oCommandMgr _
	.ControlDefinitions.Item("AssemblyRebuildAllCmd")

Call oControlDef.Execute ' execution
Beep 'you may remove this line

Vladimir Ananyev
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 7 of 8

Thanks Vladimir

Can we have a quick properties (AutoCAD) like form which updates when a part is selected in an assembly? I still see the potential for that in our method of work and would like to implement it using iLogic if possible.

Hope you can help with this one.

Message 8 of 8
xiaodong_liang

Hi,

I am afraid you have to turn to Inventor API because iLogic seems no event for selection. 

In addition, Inventor has not [quick properties]. With Inventor API, you can have the events  SelectEventsSink.OnSelect or  SelectEventsSink.OnPreSelect ,where, you may be able to pop out a modeless dialog to show the properties of the parts, 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report