Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 - view change upon "start 2D Sketch"

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gerald.epp
521 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor 2015 - view change upon "start 2D Sketch"

Hi,

When using a command to create a new 2d sketch in an .ipt file, Inventor will zoom to the home view to allow you to choose which plane or surface to sketch on.  Is there a way of stopping this?  I have unchecked all options for changing views when actually creating the sketch - but I can't find this particular one.  

Thanks!

Gerald

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ekinsb
in reply to: gerald.epp

I assume your talking about creating a sketch interactively and are not using the API.  Creating a sketch through the API should never cause the view to reorient regardless of any settings.

For the setting to control this in the user-interface it's the setting shown below.

SketchOrient.png

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 6
gerald.epp
in reply to: ekinsb

Hi Brian,

That option is not the one I'm talking about.  When I click the "Start 2D Sketch" command, the view then reorients - before I select a plane or surface to sketch on.  The one you have shown I believe only refers to after you select the plane to sketch on.  

Thanks

Gerald 

Message 4 of 6
ekinsb
in reply to: gerald.epp

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I think you're correct and there isn't a setting to control this, although after playing with it a bit I'm also unsure of what the logic is for when the reorientation happens.  In my small bit of testing, it seems the view is only reoriented when I have an empty part and no work planes are displayed.  If I create a new part document, turn on the visibility of any of the base work planes and then run "Start 2D Sketch" it doesn't reorient.  Also, if the document has any surface/solid geoemtry, it doesn't reorient, although it will reorient if there's only sketch geoemtry.  So in typical usage, the reorientation of the view will be relatively rare, only when just starting to work on a new document.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 5 of 6
maan.al-abdullah

With both planes selected, right-click one of the planes in the browser, and then select Visibility. The planes are now visible in the graphics window.
Message 6 of 6
dfarrellnep

It is not rare in my copmpany's case.  We are building upon assemblies and sub assemblies, using existing geometries as references.

This is very frustrating.  Enough so to return to 2D modeling in AutoCAD.  There must be a solution, wasting 5 minutes to reorient yourself in an assembly is unacceptable.

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report