Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015: Excel Document Opening Incorrectly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
AfterWar24
425 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor 2015: Excel Document Opening Incorrectly

Hello Everyone!

This is my first time posting on the AutoDesk forums.

Background of Problem:

The company I work for builds automation for another company and we have both transitioned to Inventor 2015 this past week. We have created automation modules for the company we are working for to speed up their development process, one of the things the modules do is link up with excel documents. At one point you fill out an excel document with a few different values that are later tied into the model. This opens up a template that we have on a vault. In Inventor 2014 it opened up outside of Inventor in a seperate window, after we began transitioning to Inventor 2015 it started showing up inside of the design window. It is zoomed out too far to even be useful and you can not zoom in.

Was there something new added with Inventor 2015 that changes the way that excel documents open?

If so how do i fix it?

I will post pictures if it would make it easier to understand my issue.

Thanks for taking your time to read about my issue, if anyone can answer my questions that would be awesome! In the meantime I am going to do further reasearch to figure out how to fix this. Time is precious!

Again, Thanks! Smiley Happy

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
"The most effective debugging tool is still careful thought, coupled with judiciously placed print statements."
- Brian W. Kernighan
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Aftermath24
in reply to: AfterWar24

Here is a picture of what is going wrong.

As you can see the excel document is literally opening inside the design window.    ScreenShotAnnotated.PNG

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6
AfterWar24
in reply to: Aftermath24

Just realized I logged into an account i didn't even know i had created. The guy above is me. Sorry.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
"The most effective debugging tool is still careful thought, coupled with judiciously placed print statements."
- Brian W. Kernighan
Message 4 of 6
AfterWar24

Can anyone give some in sight on why my excel document is being created inside of Inventor? I just need to know if I can turn it off or not, and if I can't how do i edit the settings so its not zoomed so far out.

- Brian W. Kernighan
Message 5 of 6
AfterWar24

The code that causes the excel document to open is

'Opens the embedded excel file when it is ran
Imports Inventor.OLEDocumentTypeEnum

ExcelApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

Dim ExcelFile As ReferencedOLEFileDescriptor
ExcelFile = ThisDoc.Document.ReferencedOLEFileDescriptors.Item(1)

ExcelFile.Activate(kEditOLEVerb, ExcelApp)

The line of code causing the problem:

ExcelFile.Activate(kEditOLEVerb, ExcelApp)

However it worked fine before in Inventor 2014. After reasearching i found that kEditOLEVerb is supposed to open the document in another window to be edited.

If anyone has any information on why this would have changed, PLEASE let me know. Thank you.

- Brian W. Kernighan
Message 6 of 6
a.boersma

Hello AfterWar24,

Do you already have a solution for your issue?

I noticed that if you place a breakpoint on the XL.Close command (the program stops at this step) and you step over it with F8 key, than the excel process will actually stop.

Without the breakpoint, the excel process does not stop.

Many thanks in advance,

Anco

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report