Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 addin Icons displays too large

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
bsee1
2525 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor 2013 addin Icons displays too large

I have an addin which has an icon for a button.  In Inventor 2012 it displays fine.  In Inventor 2013 the icon appears to be enlarged by about 4x, and only the top left corner of the icon is visible.  The api clearly states that Inventor will scale the image to size.

Does anyone else have this problem?  

This is the C# code I'm using to load the icon.  The icon is in my resources file.

object LookupIcon = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.VB6.Support.IconToIPicture( InvAddIn.Properties.Resources.Lookup_Icon);

Edit: See attached pics.

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: bsee1

Hi,

I am not sure what the problem is, could you take a look at this post if it helps? The 6th message of the post provides another way to convert icon to iPicture. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/Convert-IPictureDisp-To-System-Drawing...

If it is still no helpful. Please share an icon file for diagnose.

Message 3 of 11
GVDB

Same problem here!

We switched our addin from framework 3.5 (2012) to framework 4.0 (2013)

When using Ribbon appearance :Compact in 2013 -> all our icons are enlarged by about 4x

Our icons contains 16x16, 32x32, 48x48

of course we could change all of our icons to only 16x16 but that's not a proper solotion.

Is this problem solved yet?

regards,

Geert

Remark: Attachment DataLINK.ico renamed to DataLINK.ico.txt

Code used:

Dim objNaarDataLINKCmdPicture AsIPictureDisp = clsPictureConverter.IconToIPictureDisp(My.Resources.DataLINK)

Class clsPictureConverter:

Option Strict Off

Option Explicit On

Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices

Public ClassclsPictureConverter

Inherits System.Windows.Forms.AxHost

SubNew()

MyBase.New(Nothing)

EndSub

PublicSharedFunction ImageToIPictureDisp(ByVal image As System.Drawing.Image) As stdole.IPictureDisp

ReturnAxHost.GetIPictureDispFromPicture(image)

EndFunction

PublicSharedFunction IPictureDisptoImage(ByVal ipicturedisp As stdole.IPictureDisp) As System.Drawing.Image

ReturnAxHost.GetPictureFromIPicture(ipicturedisp)

EndFunction

'*** icon and bitmap through OLE ***********************************************************************************************

PublicSharedFunction IconToIPictureDisp(ByVal icon As System.Drawing.Icon) As stdole.IPictureDisp

Dim pictIcon AsNewPICTDESC.Icon(icon)

Return OleCreatePictureIndirect(pictIcon, iPictureDispGuid, True)

EndFunction

PublicSharedFunction BitmapToIPictureDisp(ByVal bmp As System.Drawing.Bitmap) As stdole.IPictureDisp

Dim pictBmp AsNewPICTDESC.Bitmap(bmp)

Return OleCreatePictureIndirect(pictBmp, iPictureDispGuid, True)

EndFunction

'Definitions

<

DllImport("OleAut32.dll", EntryPoint:="OleCreatePictureIndirect", ExactSpelling:=True, PreserveSig:=False)> _

PrivateSharedFunction OleCreatePictureIndirect(<MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.AsAny)> _

ByVal picdesc AsObject, ByRef iid AsGuid, <MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.Bool)> ByVal fOwn AsBoolean) As stdole.IPictureDisp

EndFunction

PrivateShared iPictureDispGuid AsGuid = GetType(stdole.IPictureDisp).GUID

PrivateNotInheritableClassPICTDESC

PrivateSubNew()

EndSub

'Picture Types

PublicConst PICTYPE_UNINITIALIZED AsShort = -1

PublicConst PICTYPE_NONE AsShort = 0

PublicConst PICTYPE_BITMAP AsShort = 1

PublicConst PICTYPE_METAFILE AsShort = 2

PublicConst PICTYPE_ICON AsShort = 3

PublicConst PICTYPE_ENHMETAFILE AsShort = 4

<

StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)> _

PublicClassIcon

Friend cbSizeOfStruct AsInteger = Marshal.SizeOf(GetType(PICTDESC.Icon))

Friend picType AsInteger = PICTDESC.PICTYPE_ICON

Friend hicon AsIntPtr = IntPtr.Zero

Friend unused1 AsInteger

Friend unused2 AsInteger

FriendSubNew(ByVal icon As System.Drawing.Icon)

Me.hicon = icon.ToBitmap().GetHicon()

EndSub

EndClass

<

StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)> _

PublicClassBitmap

Friend cbSizeOfStruct AsInteger = Marshal.SizeOf(GetType(PICTDESC.Bitmap))

Friend picType AsInteger = PICTDESC.PICTYPE_BITMAP

Friend hbitmap AsIntPtr = IntPtr.Zero

Friend hpal AsIntPtr = IntPtr.Zero

Friend unused AsInteger

FriendSubNew(ByVal bitmap As System.Drawing.Bitmap)

Me.hbitmap = bitmap.GetHbitmap()

EndSub

EndClass

EndClass

End

Class

Message 4 of 11
bsee1
in reply to: GVDB

I didn't realize Autodesk had given an answer here.  In short, they claimed the previous automatic scaling of pictures(which I found very convenient) was an accidental feature, and was not intended to work that way.  

For icon files that contain multiple sizes, this was their recommendation: 

"I think you should be able to get the correct size from a multi-size icon like this, and then convert that to IPictureDisp:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/616500/windows-chooses-wrong-icon-from-multi-icon-file-and-self-r..."

I have not tested the above method. I chose to make 2 separate icons, one small and one large for each button used in my addins.  It seemed like a simpler approach to the problem.

In short, I see it as a bug, Autodesk does not.  

Win7 x64 - 16gb ram
i7 3610qm
FirePro M4000

Inventor 2013
ETO 6.1
Message 5 of 11
adam.nagy

Hi,

I'm not sure why the change in behaviour appeared in this area, but it is logged in our system.

Even if it turns out to be an issue that needs fixing, you'd need a workaround in the meantime.

If your icon files contain the specific size you want then the solution should be quite easy - as pointed out in the previous reply. 

E.g. in case of the SimpleAddIn VB.NET sample, you'd need to change this line:

Dim addSlotOptionIcon As Icon = New Icon(addSlotOptionImageStream)

to this:

Dim addSlotOptionIcon As Icon = New Icon(addSlotOptionImageStream, 16, 16)

It seemed to work fine when I tested it.

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 6 of 11
GVDB
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hi,

First we could use 1 IPictureDisp with 1 icon with multiple formats:

Dim objNaarDataLINKCmdPicture As IPictureDisp = clsPictureConverter.IconToIPictureDisp(My.Resources.DataLINK)

Private WithEvents mobjNaarDataLINKCmd As Inventor.ButtonDefinition

mobjNaarDataLINKCmd = objControlDefs.AddButtonDefinition("", "NaarDataLINKCmd", Inventor.CommandTypesEnum.kQueryOnlyCmdType, m_ClientID, , "Ga naar DataLINK", objNaarDataLINKCmdPicture, objNaarDataLINKCmdPicture, ButtonDisplayEnum.kNoTextWithIcon)

The workaround I use now is to define 2 IPictureDisp with 2 seperate icons: (a lot more of work!)

Dim objNaarDataLINKCmdPicture_16 AsIPictureDisp = clsPictureConverter.IconToIPictureDisp(My.Resources.DataLINK_16)

Dim objNaarDataLINKCmdPicture_32 AsIPictureDisp = clsPictureConverter.IconToIPictureDisp(My.Resources.DataLINK_32)

Private WithEvents mobjNaarDataLINKCmd As Inventor.ButtonDefinition

mobjNaarDataLINKCmd = objControlDefs.AddButtonDefinition("", "NaarDataLINKCmd", Inventor.CommandTypesEnum.kQueryOnlyCmdType, m_ClientID, , "Ga naar DataLINK", objNaarDataLINKCmdPicture_16, objNaarDataLINKCmdPicture_32, ButtonDisplayEnum.kNoTextWithIcon)

It works, but is not so smart!

Glad it is logged.

Geert

Message 7 of 11
jcraig
in reply to: adam.nagy

Is this still not fixed? I just noticed the problem when I was changing icon size for a ribbon that I created for my addin.

Message 8 of 11
sajith_subramanian
in reply to: jcraig

Hi @jcraig,

Could you share more details on the issue ? What version of Inventor are you using?

Regards,

Sajith

Sajith Subramanian
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 9 of 11
GVDB

Hi,

I don't know if it's solved today. (Autodesk???)

I still use my workaround (see my post) in Inventor 2019 and over the years (and multiple inventor versions) my code is still working so no use to alter it.

Kind regards,

Geert

Message 10 of 11
jcraig
in reply to: sajith_subramanian

I am using Inventor 2019.

I have created an add in and I have always put the same icon file as the large icon and the small icon in the inventor.ControlDefinitions.AddButtonDefinition command. This icon file contains a 32x32 icon size and a 16x16 icon size as created by default in visual studio when an icon file is first created. I have set the add in to default to the large button size so I haven't noticed the issue until now. I was reorganizing the ribbon changing some of the buttons to small buttons and noticed that the icon did not go to the smaller size image. The button simply cropped the large icon image (displayed the upper left corner of the large icon size). That is when I found this thread so I thought I would bring it up that it does not appear to be fixed since the issue was logged several years ago. I am currently using the work around but I would like for this to work correctly to minimize coding and file creation.

Message 11 of 11
sajith_subramanian

Hi @jcraig@GVDB,

I looked up the earlier help API documents to see if there has been any change regarding the icons over the years. Till the 2013 version, I could see that it was clearly mentioned in the API help document that "You can also supply a normal size icon for both the normal and large icons. Inventor will scale the normal size if the end-user chooses to display large icons....If an icon of a different size is provided, Inventor will scale it to fit."

From Inventor 2014 onwards, this seems to have changed. It just mentions "The Ribbon supports two sizes of icons; small icons are 16x16 pixels and the large icons are 32x32 pixels....."

I believe the auto scaling may have been removed for the later versions.

Regards,

Sajith

Sajith Subramanian
Autodesk Developer Network

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums