Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic Form Builder

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
JamesNordgren
775 Views, 2 Replies

iLogic Form Builder

Attention Esteemed Autodesk Developers:

The iLogic Form builder (Iv Pro 2013)  DOES NOT work correctly.  I know at least one other post has been made about this, but it did not get any answers.

If there is a trick or workaround to make it behave predictably - PLEASE POST HERE.

Is there some hidden limit to the number of elements on a row?  Invariably, once more than 7-10 controls are placed on a row, any further additions either begin backing up right to left (making them out of order) or begin being placed on a new row and forced to fill the entire length of the window...

Why cant it be a drag n drop form builder like visual studio????  Is there actually some good reason why controls cannot be individually sized and placed on the form?  If so, please scrap it and start over with a form builder like VB.

It is beyond frustrating to have thousands of lines of brilliant iLogic code that work sooo elegantly to automate my designs, only to be forced to fall down flat by such a buggy, sophomoric user-interface builder!!!  I mean, in what universe would it ever be acceptable to have a user interface form which undoes all of the edits you have made to it every time you change something??  

Please, PLEASE divert some recources to fixing the form builder!!  It is so embarrassing to show my (otherwise awesome and cool) iLogic developments to mangement and have to explain "Well it works really great, its just that no matter how I try I cant make the interface do what I want or look reasonable, but I am sure Autodesk is working on it..."

I can send a file with a form in it to show the problem, but it should be obvious to anyone who simply starts building a form and watch what happens as the rows grow.

James

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
wayne.brill
in reply to: JamesNordgren

Hello James,

I would suggest using Visual Studio to create your UI for your iLogic. I did ask a colleague in engineering about this. Here is an excerpt of their reply:

>> >>

I agree that the form builder is limited. But we are not planning a drag-and-drop version. I would recommend using Visual Studio for that. You can design a dialog in Visual Studio, compile it into a dll and invoke it from an iLogic rule. This was the only way to do it before we introduced iLogic Forms in Inventor 2012, and it’s still the most versatile. For larger dialogs, Visual Studio provides more ease of use.

I have not tried to place more than 7 controls in a row. It might help if you put a smaller number of controls in a row within a group, and then arrange the groups in a longer row.  But it is easier to arrange controls vertically in a column instead of in a row. I would generally recommend one column per group, and then arrange a small number of groups in a row side by side.

<< <<

You can add a post to the Inventor Idea station requesting that the iLogic form builder needs improving.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Thanks,

Wayne Brill
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 3

The way around this for 8 rows for example is to add one row add 8 groups to the row then add the parameters to each group so the groups effectively become like columns

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report