Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop an iLogic loop with the keyboard

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
planglais75
7694 Views, 29 Replies

How to stop an iLogic loop with the keyboard

Hi,

Is it possible to stop an infinite loop when running an iLogic rule?

Thanks,

Pascal Langlais

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
MjDeck
in reply to: planglais75

I'm sorry, it's not possible.  We are planning to add that in a future version.  At the present time, all you can do is use the Task Manager to kill the Inventor process.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 30
planglais75
in reply to: MjDeck

Thank you Mike for the answer.

Pascal

Message 4 of 30
fsanchou

Is it possible to do so in the new version?
What are the debugging capabilities with iLogic?

Message 5 of 30
dm1287434
in reply to: planglais75

Mike,

Can you let me know why has this not been addressesed? It has been 2 years since this thread started and that you have known about it. You have replied the same in other threads about the same subject. If you can do it in VB why then could you not do it in iLogic? Thanks in advance for your input.

Message 6 of 30
Jefkee
in reply to: dm1287434

Hi,

I'm also wondering why it hasen't been adressed yet? It's a VERY helpfull tool. Or has it been adressed in the 2015 release?

Inventor 2013
Message 7 of 30
fsanchou
in reply to: Jefkee

Hi, Unfortunately, I haven't read anything new for version 2015
Message 8 of 30
yosso22
in reply to: fsanchou

Wonder if the inability of iLogic loops to be stopped will be resolved in the 2017 version? 

Give Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 30
metamere
in reply to: yosso22

It looks like this is still an issue in the 2017 version.  Pretty sad.  Debugging is still an arduous process because there is no way to step through your code. At least you can finally save an external rule without it automatically running.

Message 10 of 30
yosso22

@MjDeck wrote:

I'm sorry, it's not possible.  We are planning to add that in a future version.  At the present time, all you can do is use the Task Manager to kill the Inventor process.

Almost six years later...whatever happened?  

No matter, here's a link to a "If Then  Then That" blog post discussing a  debugging workflow utilizing DebugView.

Give Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 30
MjDeck
in reply to: yosso22

We're looking at it, but it's not easy. We're also looking at adding debugging capabilities.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 30
Rob67ert

Hope it will be added in the 2018 version.
Robert

If you find this reply helpful ? It would be nice if you use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Message 13 of 30
stephenjohns00
in reply to: Rob67ert

This is a much needed feature, and should be simple to implement.

Message 14 of 30
c_stulz
in reply to: stephenjohns00

I'm allthough waiting for it.

I tried in Inventor 2019., but I found no way.

Message 15 of 30
thopper
in reply to: c_stulz

This is ridiculous!!! No way to break a loop in an Ilogic routine! You could break a program on a DEC PDP 11-70 40 years ago with crtl+C! I just lost 2 hours work because of Autodesk being too inept to put the most basic debug tool in Ilogic.

PS never use a While loop until they fix this issue!

Message 16 of 30
MechMachineMan
in reply to: thopper

Do you put screws into boards with a hammer as well?

If the tool you are using doesn't give you the results you want, maybe you should look at a different tool.

In this case, the VBA does have step functionality and debugging, so it's a lot nicer of an option.

That being said, it's bad programming practice to put an infinite loop in to begin with, so if you do not know what you are doing, you should put in proper checks in your program to prevent it from happening (ie; a loop limit of x).

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
Message 17 of 30
thopper
in reply to: MechMachineMan

At least a common claw hammer has a removal tool on the other side. All developers have created infinite loops during development. That is why debug tools exist.   You know nothing about the application I am working. VBA is obsolete and is not an option for this application for that and several other reasons. 

How or why a bug was creating in some code or using correct programming nomenclature is not the issue here. The lack of the most rudimentary debug tools in Ilogic is the issue. 

Message 18 of 30
MechMachineMan
in reply to: thopper

The iLogic environment wasn't designed as a fully comprehensive IDE. It was designed as a quick tool for customization, that has experienced quite a bit of scope creep over the years.

If you want debugging and don't want vba, then use visual studio as your IDE to do the programming.

Again, sometimes you are better off adapting to make do with the way things ARE instead of crying about how they AREN'T.

The Idea Station is the proper place to provide feedback regarding the program.

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
Message 19 of 30

There are possibilities to stop the command. I will take a look and come back to it, ok?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 20 of 30

@MechMachineManwrote:

The iLogic environment wasn't designed as a fully comprehensive IDE. It was designed as a quick tool for customization, that has experienced quite a bit of scope creep over the years.

If you want debugging and don't want vba, then use visual studio as your IDE to do the programming.

Again, sometimes you are better off adapting to make do with the way things ARE instead of crying about how they AREN'T.

The Idea Station is the proper place to provide feedback regarding the program.

1. Yes, iLogic has experience scope creep. That's because it gives the users the ability to do the coding that is lacking from the main product.

2. We can't always debug in another environment. Often the variables and functions we need to work with are specific  to the CAD models we are working on and need to be accessed directly.

3. Don't tell us where we need to complain. We are looking for a solution to the problem. This may belong in the idea station, but it also belongs here because we are looking for a solution that someone else may have already found.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report