Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get length in bom

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lithnes_be
5118 Views, 6 Replies

how to get length in bom

we are doing a customization of part in inventor , where we have done fork plate with constaints in model and extruding it with inputs from excel sheet. the plate size is getting changed as per the input given excel sheet.

but during the 2d drawing generation, if i take bom - the length and width columns are not coming. please advice how to do it? since i am new to inventor

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi 

Sorry, I don't get the exact meaning of your question, you would need to be more descriptive about what you are trying to achieve, what you expect and provide some code if you think it is relevant.

Are you looking for having your parameters visible as BOM columns? If that's the case, then it is not directly doable. You first have to expose the parameter as iProperty, then from BOM dialog you can insert an iProperty as BOM column.

Regards,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 7

hi

thank for your reply,

my problem is - i am using parametric modelling for creating the part using a excel sheet input parameter.

so, once i created the part using excel input parameter, i am generating the 2d DRAWING FROM that model.

in 2d Drawing Bom, i wnat to include the input i have given in the excel sheet for the making the model. so that i will have part desription and length, width, thickness etc in my BOM as given in excel input sheet during modelling.

Please advice.

Message 4 of 7

Alright,

Did you try as I suggested, if the parameters are coming from an Excel document, you should also be able to expose them as iProperty and then include them as custom column in the BOM. I don't think you have another way of achieving this without going through iProperty first.

Regards,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 5 of 7
rhasell
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

Perhaps I am missing the point, as it appears to be a simple solution.

It has been a while since I did spreadsheet modeling, so I am not sure what comes through to Parameters.

But to have the values available for export and use in the BOM, the export check box needs to be checked.

params.JPG

In the IDW you need to add the new paramter to the BOM. Click on the new property button to add the "LENGTH" (hint, it will not be listed, you must type it in.)

length-bom-2.JPG

length-bom.JPG

Hope this helps.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 6 of 7
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: rhasell

I think rhasell answeres this question. I ‘d like to append that the API PartsListStyle.AddColumn can customize the columns you want to add.

Message 7 of 7
GosponZ
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

if i'm good understood you make components and than you would like to know and have dimensions in bom which you want to export to excel. If this is what i'm thinking then you need make iproperties for your dimensions, and save temlpate. In Bom make columns from your i properties.

Dimesions will be populate with code which is using  work planes and measureextenslength width and height.

Is this what you looking for? My length is PartL and width is PartW. I did used Curtis code with some adds for Material code and material description.. It is working perfect.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report