Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable Customer Error Reporting (CER) dialog?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bistromathics
3118 Views, 5 Replies

How to disable Customer Error Reporting (CER) dialog?

I am currently writing a COM application that uses the Inventor 2013 APIs to open up and inspect CAD files. This utility is intented to operate on large amounts of Inventor data. I am using SilentOperation and Visibile properties to allow the automated process to run unmanned (i.e., suppressing any popups). However, there are occasions where Inventor will crash due to some corrupt data or some other system problem, which results in the CER dialog popping up.

The utility handles Inventor crashes by clearing out and restarting the session, but the CER dialog prevents this from happening until a user manually closes the window. I would like to avoid the complications of creating a monitor' that handles killing the Inventor.exe process in the event of a crash. Is there any setting - either in the application configuration or through the APIs - that would turn off the CER when Inventor crashes? I have seen solutions that disable CER for AutoCAD (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010/Customer-Error-Reporting-CER/m-p/3468502#M33535), but I need to be able to do this in Inventor.

Any help would be much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
FarrenYoung
in reply to: bistromathics

I haven't tested this but you might try looking at these registry settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0\WS:409\CadManagerControl\CustomerErrorReport

--Farren

************************************************************************************
If this post helps, please click the "thumbs up" to give kudos
If this post answers your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
************************************************************************************
Message 3 of 6
bistromathics
in reply to: FarrenYoung

Thanks for the suggestion, Farren.

Unfortunately, the only values in that CustomerErrorReport section of the registry are "EnableRoundtrip" (which was set to 1) and EnableSendPCName (which was set to 0).

I tried flipping "EnableRoundTrip" to 0, but that didn't stop the popup.

I have found that the popup was actually not preventing the application from restarting (*shakes fist at QA*), so the severity of this "issue" has gone down drastically. Now it is just more of a nuisance, as I'm left with about 14 CER popups after the read, but it's far from a blocking issue.

I would still be interested in finding a way to disable the CER popup, though, if only for personal curiosity.

Message 4 of 6
psaarloos

Hi,

You could start a backgroundworker at the moment you launch Inventor. In the backgroundworker you'll need to watch the running processes. If you find a process named senddmp.exe you'll need to kill it.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
Pim Saarloos
Regards,
Pim Saarloos
Product Manager
If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Kudos are much appreciated!
Message 5 of 6
dbrblg

Has anyone found a way to disable this via Inventor without using third party tools?

This is an extremely annoying 'feature' which it appears you cannot disable Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 6
adam.nagy
in reply to: dbrblg

Hi,

There is no supported way of disabling it, but you could of course rename the senddmp.exe to something else or even replace it with your own executable that would get called when Inventor crashes.

However, this way the users would not be able to report any of the issues to our logging systems, so we would be unaware of the issues they run into. 

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report