Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU use in the API?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MikeGillam5072
428 Views, 5 Replies

GPU use in the API?

I'm using the API to programatically manipulate models though iLogic rules and generate images. Even though there is no viusal interface, does the API use the GPU to process anything? I use this API in a custom ETO appliaciton on a standalone computer, and I'm trying to determine if a high-end graphics card is needed to help speed up processing.

Tags (4)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
adam.nagy
in reply to: MikeGillam5072

Hi Mike,

I got the feedback that Inventor is using GPU even if the UI is not visible - unless it's run on a VM (which would use software graphics).

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 3 of 6
adam.nagy
in reply to: adam.nagy

This might be helpful:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 4 of 6
MikeGillam5072
in reply to: adam.nagy

I did my own testing using GPU-z which monitors the GPU. When I used the inventor UI, I saw it produced a significant load on the GPU. But, when I ran my model through the API, the GPU showed zero load and memory usage.

Message 5 of 6
ekinsb
in reply to: MikeGillam5072

Hi Mike,

Can you post some minimal code and a model (if it is model specific) that demonstrates the behavior you're seeing.  The graphics expert here said that rendering to an offscreen window should still use the GPU, which is what happens when you do a "Save Copy As" to an image format and specify a resolution different than the current window.  He wasn't sure of the API behavior but we would expect it to behave the same way.  Having some sample code will help to know that we're not misunderstanding what you're doing and know which API calls you're using.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 6 of 6
MikeGillam5072
in reply to: ekinsb

Brian,

Its going to take me a little while to go through this. I will be out of the office for a little while, but I might be able to go through it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report