Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get assembly name from part

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
amitnkukanur
597 Views, 7 Replies

Get assembly name from part

Hello,

I am in Inventor customization using VB.net as development language. 

There is one issue which is troubling me from some time. 

Is it possible to identify the name of parent  assembly of part/sub-assembly.

For Instance there is a Sub-Assembly/Part, how can i identify the parent assembly using VB.net without opening that assembly.

rgds

Amit

Senior Software Engineer
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

There is no way to do that if the parent assembly is not loaded. If loaded you can use "Document.ReferencingDocuments" property.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: amitnkukanur

I don’t know about using VB to get the information but you can use the Design Assistant.  Just right on your part in the explorer window and click Design Assistant.  When open there is a manage button in the left window (click it).  The bottom window has a find files button (make sure you have all the file included types you want to search for). 

If this is able to find all the links to this part then you would think there is a way to pull the information into VB.  

I hope some of this helps.  

Message 4 of 8
adam.nagy

Hi Amit,

What do you mean by "without opening"?

Were you hoping that each part and sub assembly had a back reference to the documents which use it? 🙂

Not that I'm aware of.

You could create your own tracking system if it's important for you or your customers.

Otherwsie you'll need to check each assembly of interest if they are using the given parts or assemblies.

You do not have to open the files visibly in the user interface, they could be hidden and the follow what Philippe said.

You could even use Apprentice Server to check the files without starting Inventor: http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/03/iproperties-without-inventor-apprentice.html

Cheers, 

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 5 of 8
amitnkukanur
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hello, 

Thanks for all replies, what i am trying to do is when the user selects a part, am trying to access the part details such as when the part was created and to which assembly it belongs to. 

rgds

Amit

Senior Software Engineer
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Do you use Autodesk Vault to control your Inventor files? 

Message 7 of 8
amitnkukanur

Hello,

No i am not using Vault to control files

regards

Amit

Senior Software Engineer
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

You might want to look into using Vault. Vault track who made the part (also date made) and who changed the part (also date changed). It tracks the whole history of your files. As you can see in the attached picture of Vaults interface there is a where used section (bottom center window). You can also attach comments to the files and see all the properties.

Vault Pic.jpg

Hope this helps.    

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report