Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat layout of parts (not sheet metal) with VB macro

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BrandonBG
985 Views, 3 Replies

Flat layout of parts (not sheet metal) with VB macro

I'm attempting to use a macro in Inventor 2013 I found on the Mod The Machine blog to lay out the parts of an assembly. They're wood (not sheet metal), and the purpose is to create a drawing/cutlist with flat views of all the parts for easier DXF extraction.

The issue is that not all the parts in our assemblies are created with the length and width on the XY plane. So, some parts are laid flat on the XY and some stand up straight. How do I modify this code to look at the XZ and YZ planes as well for length and width?

It's a bit long, so here's the link to the code.

I'm a VB rookie, and I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Brandon

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Gruff
in reply to: BrandonBG

Honestly, It is not that hard to move your base sketch to another plane.  Meaning that you could make all your parts

show the flat in same plane.  While I was at it I would orient the parts for grain.. Say +-X as grain direction.

I know of no other way to determine the cutout plane by geometry unless perhaps the wood is all the same thickness.

I certainly would not want to have to attempt that.

Even then you do not know the good side version bad side of the wood or grain direction.

What are you looking for?  Some sort of best fit program so you can best use your material?

Message 3 of 4
BrandonBG
in reply to: Gruff

Essentially, I'm building a structure with a bunch of wood parts -- 99% of them would be flat -- and I need to a quick way to flatten them out to send to AutoCAD for CNC processing. It's a chore taking apart an assembly and constraining each part to the same plane.

It's also critical that the correct side by up/down, not for appearance, but for extents with mitres.

I think I solve my own problem by creating all part sketches on the same plane, but it's not always the fastest way to complete a project.

Thanks,

Brandon

Message 4 of 4
Gruff
in reply to: BrandonBG

Well good luck then. 🙂

I was thinking you would use the assembly to get the list of part files.  Open the part files and they would be created with the flat in the same x,y plane.  Good side up and Grain in the +-X direction.

Getting the images for your cut list would be relatively easy.

You might also have a part file property that is a boolean defining if the part is Flat or Not.

Perhaps you would use a standard iso image of the non-flat parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report