Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing view labels parent sheet/child sheet

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
mies07
2529 Views, 18 Replies

Drawing view labels parent sheet/child sheet

Just as there is now a way (2015) to edit the drawing view label to include the parent sheet name, is it possible to conversely reference the child sheet name? Ultimately would like a way to include this in field text in a sketched symbol so you can associate the field text with a specific view. Thus, you could create a reference bubble to a section/detail view that is on another sheet than the section/detail line and have it automatically update if the view is moved to another sheet. This has always been a major drawback for those of us who create multiple sheet drawing sets that do not use the standard ISO/ANSI drafting standards, and instead use a more architecturally oriented drafting standard.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
YuhanZhang
in reply to: mies07

For parent sheet name you can add it to drawing view lable after inserting the View Label Properties->PARENT SHEET NAME property:

ParentSheetNameInLabel.png

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 19
mies07
in reply to: YuhanZhang

Yes, I already figured this out - per my original question. However, my question is can you do the reverse, reference a child sheet number?

Message 4 of 19
YuhanZhang

You can add the below Sheet Number property:

9-2-2014 12-51-59 PM.png

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 19

I'm not sure you understood the need. I think what is wanted is to have the child sheet mentioned in the view callout. For instance, you should be able to set up a section line so that it's style includes the destination (child) sheet as part of the call-out text. The same capability should be included with detail view call-outs, etc. The idea being that you should be able to jump back and forth in a complicated drawing with multiple sheets. (In large industrial drawings, we have had drawings with nearly 40 sheets.)
Message 6 of 19

A workaround for this maybe to create custom property for a section/detail drawing view to return the sheet number/name where the drawing view is located on, and then refer to the proper property in a sketched symbol and link the sketched symbol to the section line.

1. Create a custom property for a section view, for example the section view A:A is located on Sheet:2, then create a customer property AALocation="Sheet:2".

2. Create a sketched symbol and insert the AALocation property into the sketched symbol.

3. Insert the sketched symbol to link to section line of the section view A:A.

4. When the section view A:A is moved to a different sheet, you can monitor the change in an addin and update the AALocation property.

Hope this helps.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 19
mies07

What I was hoping for is a functionality that is similar to dwf file ability to jump to "off sheet" views of referenced sections and details , a la below screen shot:

Off Sheet Link.JPG

So the functionality exists to recognize child  "off sheet" view locations, just needs to be incorporated into functions available to sketched symbols. In other words, the text value "EF9.11.02", which in this example is manaully filled in field text that is concatenated with the sheet number prefix derived from a "Custom Properties - Drawing"  custom iProperty (Sheet Set). See below:

Setched Symbol.JPG

Message 8 of 19
YuhanZhang

So your requirement is to enable us to use the sketched symbol as a link to a drawing veiw and we can jump to the drawing view via it, right? This should be a new wishlist for Inventor to support this function. While Inventor has a similar function on the browse node, check it in below picture:

DrawingViewJump.png

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 19
mies07

Yes, that would be nice - but you're still not getting it. It would be nice if there was a text property "child sheet" that would retrieve the sheet location of a detail or section view that was not on the same sheet as the detail bubble or section line. If the detail or section is moved to another sheet, the "child sheet" text would automatically update. See below:

Section_2.jpg

Section_4.jpg

Message 10 of 19
YuhanZhang

I logged a wishlist for this requirement to our TFS,  you can provide the number 33796 to get its status.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 19
agomez

Does somebody knows the status of this discussion? I am using Inventor 2015. Thanks.

Message 12 of 19
adam.nagy
in reply to: agomez

Hi,

This request about the new functionality is quite fresh and so is not implemented yet.

If you can provide information on why this functionality is important and how many people in your organization are affected by it that could help.

Logging a similar request on the Inventor Ideastation where other people can add kudos to the request would also be useful.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/idb-p/v1232 - you could also mention there the request number 33796

Cheers, 

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 13 of 19
Roque.gustilo
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hello,

This tool is really useful when you have a big multi-sheet drawing, e.g. a drawing with 30 sheets, you print your drawing and you need a guide to locate the parents views, for that reason it is important,

Regards, 

Message 14 of 19

Hi @Roque.gustilo,

If the wish list of tool is already posted in idea station, then you can give upvote to it.

If not, create a wish list at idea station using following link.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/idb-p/v1232/tab/most-recent

Thanks and regards,

CHANDRA SHEKAR G
Developer Advocate
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 15 of 19
craigpamment

Has there been an update to this? So far in our drawing set we have 36 sheets with more to come - and we need to be able to reference both ways between parent and child sheet/view to details, and updating automatically if a view or detail is moved to another sheet.

Seems like this should be a fundamental part of drawing sheets, but I can't find anything at allows me to reference a detail from the Parent sheet.

I did find that I can add <PARENT SHEET INDEX> to the detail label, but the parent label doesn't give any options to change?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 16 of 19
YuhanZhang
in reply to: craigpamment

Hi @craigpamment , I checked the issue and found that it was closed as designed when we moved our issue tracking system to a new one(I guess they misunderstood it), I need to re-create one for this. If you can provide business case for this requirement I can add to the issue then it can be helpful for dev team to evaluate it.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 19
YuhanZhang

I logged this as INVGEN-60057 to track it, you can provide this to query its status.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 19
craigpamment

Thanks for that. Hopefully something will happen. Where can we track this?

Message 19 of 19
crothgebCF5AM

EDITED THIS REPLY BC I NO LONGER HAVE ANY QUESTIONS... CANT SEEM TO DELETE MY REPLY.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report