Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Assembly/Sub Assembly structure using iLogic

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
AlexFielder
868 Views, 6 Replies

Create Assembly/Sub Assembly structure using iLogic

If, for instance I know ahead of time what the rough structure of my assembly is going to be (based on a file structure from a CD I was given) how easy is it to recreate this structure using iLogic?

My file structure looks a little like this:

<dir name="e:\">
  <file parentassembly="THE-TOP-LEVEL-ASSEMBLY" friendlyname="TOP-LEVEL-ASSEMBLY" />
  <file parentassembly="TOP-LEVEL-ASSEMBLY" friendlyname="PART-NAME" />
  <dir name="1ST-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY">
    <file parentassembly="TOP-LEVEL-ASSEMBLY" friendlyname="1ST-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY" />
    <file parentassembly="1ST-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY" friendlyname="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-003" />
    <file parentassembly="1ST-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY" friendlyname="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-004" />
    <file parentassembly="1ST-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY" friendlyname="PART-NAME" />
    <dir name="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-000">
      <file parentassembly="1ST-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY" friendlyname="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-000" />
    </dir>
    <dir name="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-001">
      <file parentassembly="1ST-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY" friendlyname="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-001" />
      <file parentassembly="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-001" friendlyname="PART-NAME" />
    </dir>
    <dir name="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-002">
      <file parentassembly="1ST-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY" friendlyname="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-002" />
      <file parentassembly="2ND-LEVEL-SUB-ASSEMBLY-002" friendlyname="PART-NAME" />
    </dir>

Incidentally, the above code was created from a small console app I wrote:

Imports System.Collections.Generic
Imports System.IO
Imports System.Linq
Imports System.Text
Imports System.Text.RegularExpressions
Imports System.Xml.Linq

Module Module1
    Public Sub Main()
        Console.WriteLine("Enter Path to Parse...")
        Dim rootPath As String = Console.ReadLine()
        Dim dir = New DirectoryInfo(rootPath)
        Dim doc = New XDocument(GetDirectoryXml(dir))
        doc.Save("C:\temp\VBtest.xml")
        Console.WriteLine(doc.ToString())

Console.Read()
    End Sub

Public Function GetDirectoryXml(ByVal dir As DirectoryInfo) As Object
        Dim info = New XElement("dir", New XAttribute("name", dir.Name))
        If Not dir.Name.Contains("Superseded") Then
            For Each file As FileInfo In dir.GetFiles()
                'info.Add(New XElement("file", New XAttribute("name", file.Name), New XAttribute("friendlyname", GetFriendlyName(file.Name))))
                If Not file.Name.Contains("IL") And Not file.Name.Contains("DL") And Not file.Name.Contains("SP") Then
                    'if the directory name is the same as the assembly name then the parentassembly is the folder above!
                    If GetFriendlyDirName(dir.Name) = GetFriendlyName(file.Name) Then
                        If getsheetnum(file.Name) <= 1 Then
                            info.Add(New XElement("file",
                                                  New XAttribute("parentassembly", GetFriendlyDirName(dir.Parent.Name)),
                                                  New XAttribute("friendlyname", GetFriendlyName(file.Name))))
                        End If
                    Else
                        If getsheetnum(file.Name) <= 1 Then
                            info.Add(New XElement("file",
                                                  New XAttribute("parentassembly", GetFriendlyDirName(dir.Name)),
                                                  New XAttribute("friendlyname", GetFriendlyName(file.Name))))
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            Next

For Each subDir As DirectoryInfo In dir.GetDirectories()
                If Not subDir.Name.Contains("Superseded") Then
                    info.Add(GetDirectoryXml(subDir))
                End If
            Next
        End If
        Return info

End Function

Public Function GetFriendlyName(p As String) As Object
        Dim f As String = String.Empty
        Dim r As New Regex("\w{2}-\d{5,}|\w{2}-\w\d{5,}")
        f = r.Match(p).Captures(0).ToString() + "-000"
        Console.WriteLine(f)
        Return f
    End Function

Public Function GetFriendlyDirName(p1 As String) As Object
        If Not p1.Contains(":") Then
            Dim r As New Regex("\d{3,}|\w\d{3,}")
            f = "AS-" + r.Match(p1).Captures(0).ToString() + "-000"
            Return f
        Else
            Return p1
        End If
    End Function

Private Function getsheetnum(p1 As String) As Integer
        Dim pattern As String = "(.*)(sht-)(\d{3})(.*)"
        Dim matches As MatchCollection = Regex.Matches(p1, pattern)
        For Each m As Match In matches
            Dim g As Group = m.Groups(3)
            f = CInt(g.Value)
        Next
        Return CInt(f)
    End Function

End Module

I was thinking that since the above works for folders/subfolders (because of the recursive nature) that it should work in Inventor iLogic (with some tweaks) for creating the sub-assemblies/parts etc.

Can anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks,

Alex.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Ilogic could be used to create assembly/subassemblies/components via direct calls to Inventor API objects.

See help on ComponentOccurrences collection methods Add(), AddByComponentDefinition(), AddWithOptions(), etc.  Overview article on Building an Assembly and several code samples could be useful as well.  Please note that all methods use input Matrix object that defines the location and orientation to position the occurrence.

cheers

Vladimir Ananyev
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 7
AlexFielder
in reply to: AlexFielder

Thanks Vladimir, I'll be sure to look them up tomorrow!

I have actually moved away from a pure ilogic solution to this as it was proving too difficult to debug.

I plan on posting a sample of the code I've created and the method I've been using to debug the solution I've come up with. (Assuming I can get it working that is)
Message 4 of 7
AlexFielder

Hi again Vladimir,

Apologies for my delayed reply.

Here is how I have been able to run my Visual Studio created .dll file from Inventor iLogic:

Basically, you need to make sure that the .dll file compiles to the c:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Bin\iLogicAdd\ path

Then, using this code in an external iLogic rule:

AddReference "CreateAssemblyFromExcelVB.dll"
Imports CreateAssemblyFromExcelVB
Sub Main()
Dim XTVB As New CreateAssemblyFromExcelVB.ExternalVBClass
Dim FilesArray As New ArrayList
Dim PartsList As List(Of CreateAssemblyFromExcelVB.SubObjectCls)
PartsList = New List(Of CreateAssemblyFromExcelVB.SubObjectCls)
'pass the local variables to our external .dll
XTVB.InventorApplication = ThisApplication
Dim filetab As String = InputBox("Which project?", "Select Sheet Name", "SHEETNAME")
FilesArray = GoExcel.CellValues("C:\VAULT WORKING FOLDER\Designs\Project Tracker.xlsx", filetab, "A3", "A4") ' opens and sets excel to the correct sheet!
For MyRow As Integer = 3 To 5000 ' max limit = 5000 rows but could be much higher
    Dim SO As CreateAssemblyFromExcelVB.SubObjectCls
    If GoExcel.CellValue("A" & MyRow) = "" Then Exit For 'exits when the value is empty!
    Dim tmpstr As String = GoExcel.CellValue("I" & MyRow) 'parent row
    If Not tmpstr.StartsWith("AS-") Then
        Continue For
    End If
	'capture iproperties from the available Excel Data.
	SO = New CreateAssemblyFromExcelVB.SubObjectCls(GoExcel.CellValue("B" & MyRow),
													GoExcel.CellValue("K" & MyRow),
													GoExcel.CellValue("L" & MyRow),
													GoExcel.CellValue("M" & MyRow),
													GoExcel.CellValue("I" & MyRow))
    PartsList.Add(SO)
Next
XTVB.PartsList = PartsList
GoExcel.Close
Dim tr As transaction
tr = ThisApplication.TransactionManager.StartTransaction(ThisApplication.ActiveDocument, "Create Standard Parts From Excel")
Call XTVB.BeginCreateAssemblyStructure
tr.End()
InventorVb.DocumentUpdate()
End Sub

This then calls the Visual Basic code that allows me to create an assembly based on the folder structure from the post above.

Message 5 of 7
adam.nagy

Hi Alex,

It's not clear to me if you still need help with something or you're all set?

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 6 of 7
AlexFielder
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hi Adam,

I figured out everything I needed to know - once I was able to debug the code I was writing (in Visual Studio) all the problems melted away.

I will say this though: If you guys can figure out how to get debugging working in iLogic it'll be a massive bonus to everyone that uses it.

Thanks,

Alex.

Message 7 of 7
adam.nagy

Hi Alex,

To be honest I don't see that coming.

1) If you want to do some simple configuration then iLogic can be the right tool. Even if it requires the underlying Inventor API, you can figure things out and test in VBA first (or Visual Studio) which offers: debugging, intellisense, object model access, etc

2) If you need to create a serious project create an AddIn: debugging, intellisense, .NET forms/controls, etc

iLogic debugging only goes this far: 

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/manufacturing/2014/08/debug-ilogic.html

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report