Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying CC parts to Custom CC Folder

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Cadmanto
586 Views, 4 Replies

Copying CC parts to Custom CC Folder

I have been researching and found out how to copy parts from the existing CC to newly created custom folders within the CC.  We are now just starting to look into which parts we want to be in our custom folders moving forward.

Once we copy them over, the plan is to change the descriptions and possibly some dimension values.  Because we are in the early stages of revamping our companies part number scheme the thought was to keep the out of the box P/N's currently showing in the family table of these parts.  Some of these parts have already been used as "Standard" (not custom) from out of the box in the CC and these said parts have already been checked into the vault.  If we are not changing the part numbers in the copied parts family table, is this going to create errors when checking these copied parts into the vault?  Part of me is saying I am going to get the "This part already exists in the Vault" error message being they are standard parts  But, the other part of me says technically they are different so maybe this wont be an issue.  I am looking for confirmation of this.

I also would like to know if it is possible, when you have two separate custom folders in the CC can you copy the same component into both folders changing only slight things.

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional
Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU 3.47 GHz
12.0 GB Memory, 64 bit OS

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: Cadmanto

No one has any thoughts on this?

I don'teven have a "Need an Answer" button to push.  Smiley Sad

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 3 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

Sorry,

I don't usually come to this forum, but I saw your nudge in the other one.

I think, as long as you use a different filename structure in your custom CC folders, there should be no conflict with standard parts when checking them in.  If the file name is the same, it might cause issues.

As to having the same part in multiple folders,... I've never tried that.  I'm not sure if it would allow it or not.  I have time this morning, I'll give it a shot and let you know.... please stand by.

EDIT:

You can indeed have the same item family in two or more locations in a custom CC.... just republish the part from Inventor.  There is no way to simply copy it to another folder within the same Custom CC.  You CAN reuse the family name, but it will give you a warning and ask if you want to reuse the name.  I said yes, and it continued with no errors. 

I do not see a way to do this with copied "out of the box" parts.  At least not yet.  It worked with a published ipart family.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks Chris for looking into this.

I know about the duplicate file name thing.  I have been bitten by that several times.  Mostly with frame generator or out of the box CC custom parts.  When you work in a department full of users, not everyone is concious of this.

I originally posted this question, because we as a company are looking into solidifying our CC parts.  Both published and out of the box (copied).  We want to have standard part numbers and descriptions.  We have three divisions and it is quite possible that another department might want to use the same out of the box part with a slightly different description.  We are still working through some kinks, so this info is good to know.

Thanks again.

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7 Professional

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 5
cadman777
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

I read your "Propagating iProperties from the CC", and found it very informative. Thanx for writing it.

I still am muddling through the intracies of the CC. They are mysterious, b/c I can't find any White Paper on the CC Editor that explains how it works and how to use iProperties, equations, formulas, and esp. what ERROR MESSAGES may mean.

Do you have a link to the list of CC Family Table ERROR MESSAGES, and what they may mean, so I can troubleshoot what I'm doing?

Thanx ...

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report