Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change DimStyle to Active Standard

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
jdkriek
4579 Views, 19 Replies

Change DimStyle to Active Standard

Wanted to post this hoping others will find it useful. Works for most versions of Inventor.

Changes all dimensions, balloons, ect (define more if you want) to current object default in active standard.

Try it out, let me know if it works well for you.

Sub ChangeDimStyle()
'J.Kriek 2012
    Dim oApp As Application
    Dim oIdw As DrawingDocument
    Dim oDim As DrawingDimension
    Dim oBalloon As Balloon
    Dim oDimStyle As DrawingStandardStyle
    Dim oSheet As Sheet
    Set oApp = ThisApplication
    Set oIdw = oApp.ActiveDocument

Set oDimStyle = oIdw.StylesManager.ActiveStandardStyle
    For Each oSheet In oIdw.Sheets
        For Each oDim In oSheet.DrawingDimensions
                'Add more Styles here
                If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.LinearDimensionStyle.Name Then
                    oDim.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.LinearDimensionStyle
                End If
                If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.AngularDimensionStyle.Name Then
                    oDim.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.AngularDimensionStyle
                End If
                If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.ChamferNoteStyle.Name Then
                    oDim.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.ChamferNoteStyle
                End If
                If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.DiameterDimensionStyle.Name Then
                    oDim.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.DiameterDimensionStyle
                End If
                If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.LeaderTextStyle.Name Then
                    oDim.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.LeaderTextStyle
                End If
                If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.BendNoteStyle.Name Then
                    oDim.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.BendNoteStyle
                End If
        Next
        For Each oBalloon In oSheet.Balloons
                If oBalloon.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.BalloonStyle.Name Then
                    oBalloon.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.BalloonStyle
                End If
        Next
   Next
End Sub

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
jonbrabbs
in reply to: jdkriek

Very nice. I've been trying to create something similiar for a couple of hours now. Thanks for the share, it's much appreciated.

Jon Brabbs

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If this post helps you, please give kudos.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Message 3 of 20
jdkriek
in reply to: jonbrabbs

Glad it was useful to you 😃

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 4 of 20
axplosif

Hi

How do I use this rule in Inventor 2012 64bit. I am unfamiliar with I-logic, but this seems ideal for what I'm wanting to achieve. Any sort of help is welcome. Thanks

A

Message 5 of 20
jdkriek
in reply to: axplosif

This is VBA (Visual Basic for Applications). It can be rewritten in iLogic fairly easy (essentially VB.NET)

Or you could use as is, simply go to Tools > VBA Editor > Paste it into a Module. 

Then from iLogic you could run with 

InventorVb.RunMacro("projectName", "moduleName", "macroName")

Or simply run it manually by adding it as a button. Right-click on toolbar > Customize User Commands > Change Drop-down to Macros > Select Macro > Click Add > Then Ok.

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 6 of 20
axplosif

I appreciate your Help on this. I'm trying to get this to work, but may need some pointers.

I have some old Legacy drawings which I'm trying to bring up to date by applying the current standard’s Layers & Styles. My drawings are from 2003 and are typically using a local style called ANSI. I am looking to convert all Layers and styles to a new Active Standard called Default Standard (ISO). Presently, I am manually replacing all local styles within the Style Editor, but this is a long and tedious process and I have to do this for every drawing. Really, it’s something I should be automating.

For example, I wish to change all Linear, Diameter, Angular dimensions to  Layer - Default Standard (ISO) and Style - Dimension ISO.

If you can point me in the right direction I’ll figure out how to do the rest of the layers such as Centerlines, Symbols, Annotations etc. I take it these will all have some sort of tag that I’ll need to find out in order to input them into the snippet, or do I just use the layer and style names within the angle brackets <> ?

Thanks again

Message 7 of 20
jdkriek

Few questons first. Are you using the Style Library Manager (outside Inventor) for global styles? Is Default Standard (ISO) a global standard? Are Dimension ISO, ect setup as the Object Defaults for that standard?

This script will make sure all the elements specificed on the drawing get updated to the active standard. And yes they do have specific "tags" as you call them. Some even have diffrent methods in order to access them. It would be a proccess of letting me know which elements in addition to what's already here you need and me showing you that method.

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 8 of 20
axplosif

Yes, I am using a Style Library Manager (which reads styles from an external folder), and the Standard I use is a modified Global ISO standard (mostly using Imperial units instead of Metric; 3rd Angle etc.). The object defaults have been set up for this.

If you like, I can show you a typical legacy drawing, as well as an up-to-date drawing with the layers applied by the Standard from the Style Library. This way you can see the styles that I am needing changed, and may, hopefully, be able to offer some advice.

I tend to carry out 'Drawing Resource Transfer Wizard' first, so that Drawing Border, Title block and Symbols can be transferred before I start replacing the Styles. 

Message 9 of 20
jdkriek

Ok, so when you go to Tools > Document Settings > Your Style is listed as the active standard?

If so, then script will work fine. We have the ability to change every elemenet on the drawing, including section and view labels, but not everyone needs those updated.

Just let me know what you need help with.

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 10 of 20
axplosif

My style is the active standard, so yes, I am hoping to apply styles to the following:

Dimension; Text; Tables; Revision Table; Table.

Most of these use custom styles names that are no longer in the Active Standard i.e' COMPANY ANSI'; 'Table_COMPANY ANSI' etc. I wish to change these to 'Default (Imperial)' for example, which is now the Active Standard for the Styles.

I have attached a list of all the Object Types, i'd like to include in the Macro.

My question then would be where to find/identify the 'tags' and write them into the snippet?

Message 11 of 20
jdkriek

@axplosif wrote:

My question then would be where to find/identify the 'tags' and write them into the snippet?

The nice thing about the VBA Editor is IntelliSensewhich is an autocompletion system designed to help you troubleshoot and write code. If you copy any statement with oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults and backspace the specific style off, then as you type "." it will trigger IntelliSense showing you all available "tags" (see image). Hope this helps.

IntelliSense.PNG

Please note some styles like balloons will require thier own For Each() loop. While others don't support direct compare, so I had to go about them diffrently.

View labels are especiallly difficult, because the text DETAIL, SECTION, and VIEW was getting removed by resetting the style. So I had rewrite the text back in, but it was worth it to insure correct compliance with our standards.

This shows you a few diffrent methods.

Sub ChangeDimStyle()
'J.Kriek 2012
    Set oApp = ThisApplication
    Set oIDW = oApp.ActiveDocument
    Set oDimStyle = oIDW.StylesManager.ActiveStandardStyle
    For Each oSheet In oIDW.Sheets

'Add more Dim Styles here
            'Debug.Print "Name, Val: " & oDim.Style.Name & ", " & oDim.ModelValue
            If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.LinearDimensionStyle.Name Then
            End If
            If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.AngularDimensionStyle.Name Then
            End If
            End If
            If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.DiameterDimensionStyle.Name Then
            End If
            End If
            If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.BendNoteStyle.Name Then
                oDim.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.BendNoteStyle
            End If
            If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.OrdinateDimensionStyle.Name Then
                oDim.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.OrdinateDimensionStyle
            End If
            If oDim.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.OrdinateDimensionStyle.Name Then
                oDim.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.OrdinateDimensionStyle
            End If

'Set automaticly because it doesn't support compare

Next
        For Each oBalloon In oSheet.Balloons
            'Debug.Print "Name: " & oBalloon.Style.Name
            If oBalloon.Style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.BalloonStyle.Name Then
                oBalloon.Style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.BalloonStyle
            End If
        Next
        Dim i As Integer
        For i = 1 To oSheet.DrawingViews.count
            Set oView = oSheet.DrawingViews.Item(i)
                If oView.ShowLabel = True Then
                    'B Size: .396 = .156 Text
                    'D Dize: .458 = .180in Text
                    Dim LabelB As String
                    Dim LabelD As String
                    'Added detection for type of view 9/5/2012 - JDK
                    Select Case oView.ViewType
                        Case kDetailDrawingViewType
                            LabelB = "<StyleOverride FontSize='.396' Underline='True'>DETAIL <DrawingViewName/></StyleOverride>"
                            LabelD = "<StyleOverride FontSize='.458' Underline='True'>DETAIL <DrawingViewName/></StyleOverride>"
                        Case kSectionDrawingViewType
                            LabelB = "<StyleOverride FontSize='.396' Underline='True'>SECTION <DrawingViewName/>-<DrawingViewName/></StyleOverride>"
                            LabelD = "<StyleOverride FontSize='.458' Underline='True'>SECTION <DrawingViewName/>-<DrawingViewName/></StyleOverride>"
                        Case kProjectedDrawingViewType
                            LabelB = "<StyleOverride FontSize='.396' Underline='True'>VIEW <DrawingViewName/>-<DrawingViewName/></StyleOverride>"
                            LabelD = "<StyleOverride FontSize='.458' Underline='True'>VIEW <DrawingViewName/>-<DrawingViewName/></StyleOverride>"
                        Case kStandardDrawingViewType
                            'oView.ShowLabel = False
                           LabelB = "<StyleOverride FontSize='.396' Underline='True'><DrawingViewName/></StyleOverride>"
                            LabelD = "<StyleOverride FontSize='.458' Underline='True'><DrawingViewName/></StyleOverride>"
                    End Select

'Set automaticly because it doesn't support compare
                    oView.Label.TextStyle = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.ViewLabelStyle

'Debug.Print "Name: " & oView.Label.TextStyle.Name
                    Select Case oView.Label.TextStyle.Name
                        Case "LABEL_B"
                            oView.Label.FormattedText = LabelB
                        Case "LABEL_B_16"
                            oView.Label.FormattedText = LabelB
                        Case "LABEL_D"
                            oView.Label.FormattedText = LabelD
                        Case "LABEL_D_16"
                            oView.Label.FormattedText = LabelD
                    End Select
                    End If
                End If
       Next
   Next
End Sub
Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 12 of 20
axplosif

Thanks for your help on this Jonathan.

Message 13 of 20
jdkriek

Quite welcome!

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 14 of 20
MarkyTomm

Hi Johnathan,

I also have a similar situation where i need to change all the elements (dims, text, leaders etc) on an idw to the currently active style

Do you have a code snippet for this process?

regards

Mark Tommis

INV 2013 64bit

Message 15 of 20
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: MarkyTomm

Hi mark,

it looks to me Johnathan's demo in the message 11 has nearly done what you wanted to do. Could you clarify a bit the details or your difficulty?

Message 16 of 20
ChristinaForest

Hi jdkriek!

i try you rule but i have this error message?

change style.PNG

And this is my rule

Dim oIDWDoc As DrawingDocument
oIDWDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
Dim oSheet As Sheet
Dim oDim As DrawingDimension
Dim oDimStyle As DrawingStandardStyle
Dim oGeneralDimensions As GeneralDimension
oDimStyle = oIDWDoc.StylesManager.ActiveStandardStyle
For Each oSheet In oIDWDoc.Sheets

Debug.Print ("Style Name and Val: " & oDim.style.Name & " " & oDim.ModelValue)

If oDim.style.Name <> oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.LinearDimensionStyle.Name Then
iProperties.Value("Custom", "test1") = oDim.style.Name
iProperties.Value("Custom", "test2") = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.LinearDimensionStyle.Name
End If
End If
End If
End If
End If
Next
Next

Thanks for your help!

Message 17 of 20
Cadkunde.nl

just want to spam a thank you. This saves me quite some time.

And you are not getting enough likes for your generous sharing!

Message 18 of 20
Cadkunde.nl
in reply to: Cadkunde.nl

Ok I have been cheering a bit too early.

Somehow this works:

MsgBox(oDim.Style.Name & " - " & oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.LinearDimensionStyle.Name)

But this fails:

oDim.style = oDimStyle.ActiveObjectDefaults.LinearDimensionStyle

(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020003 (DISP_E_MEMBERNOTFOUND))

And it looked like easy copy paste code.

Also, when I look at all the options within DrawingDimension, I can't see 'Style'. msgbox(oDim.Style.Name)  seems to work, but I dont see it in the 'intelliSense'. Why is that?

Message 19 of 20
Cadkunde.nl

Ok so I currently work for a company that needs to update external drawings to their styles

If the styles does not exist, it updates the styles to some base style.

I wanted to update every dimension and balloon to the new style as explained in this post, only to learn that is not possible for every object (for example break lines, details or section lines were not updatable)

Then after some heavy meditating, I tried renaming the current style to the style that is in our styles library, and then update it. And that works flawless. So a whole day work for these few lines:

Dim oSTDStyle As DrawingStandardStyle = oStylMan.ActiveStandardStyle
        If Not oSTDStyle.Name = "companyname" Then oSTDStyle.Name = "companyname"

For Each oStyle In oDoc.StylesManager.Styles
            If oStyle.UpToDate = False Then
                oStyle.UpdateFromGlobal()
            End If
        Next

Message 20 of 20
gunermustafa

Can we update drawing style "Yes to All" and change part list ? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report