Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can VB 2010 Express Edition be used to program both Inventor 2011 and 2012?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
JimStrenk
965 Views, 8 Replies

Can VB 2010 Express Edition be used to program both Inventor 2011 and 2012?

I have both Inventor 2011 and 2012 installed on my machine.  I wish to write custom programs when iLogic programming is not an option.

Can Visual Basic 2010 Express Edition be used for custom programs for BOTH Inventor 2011 AND Inventor 2012? Inventor 2012 help files suggest installing Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.

Am I correct in understanding that VBA for Inventor won't be supported past Inventor 2012?  I'm trying to make sure that any programming work I do in the near future won't become obsolete in the next year or two.

What OTHER Microsoft programming software packages should I consider using for BOTH INV 2011 AND 2012?

Any tips, suggestions or errata on this subject would be most welcomed! Smiley Wink

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Mike.Wohletz
in reply to: JimStrenk

You will have no problem doing this with VS 2010 except getting templates to install, beyond that the only thing to remember is to set the .NET frameworks version to 3.5 on any new applications and it will and does work just fine.

Message 3 of 9
JimStrenk
in reply to: Mike.Wohletz

Wouldn't I set NET Framework to Version 4.0 for Inventor 2012?  And set NET Framework 3.5 for Inventor 2011?

Jim Strenk

Message 4 of 9
Mike.Wohletz

It is possible to do it that way, but  if you are going to use the same application for both versions then just use .NET 3.5.

Message 5 of 9
Gruff

I've experienced some problems with 2012 and Framework 4.0.  I defaulted back to 3.5.

Message 6 of 9
JimStrenk
in reply to: Gruff

Thanks Gruff for the follow-up response.  While INV 2012 works with NET 4.0, you've apparently seen that it doesn't work so well! Smiley Mad

Jim Strenk

Message 7 of 9
JimStrenk

Thanks Mike for your response.  Based on further reading, it appears that we can using different programing languages modify Inventor 3 different ways.

1) iLogic

2) Inventor VBA

3) Visual Basic 2010 Express Edition

My follow-up question is this:

Under what circumstances or when would I use iLogic, Inventor VBA or VB.net?

Jim Strenk

Message 8 of 9
Gruff

I can only relate my experice.

1) Creating a stand alone VB.NET program that automates Inventor has problems in that you cannot control which inventor you attach to other than a New Inventor session.  Capturing Inventor Events becomes much more difficult.

Finally you develop one step outside Inventor so chasing down bugs is not always easy.

2) Creatiung a VB.NET Add-In ensures you are working in the current Inventor Session.  Inventor Events are easily attached to.  Debugging can still be a chore though and I've found writing Add-Ins just plain difficult.

3) VBA project (Not inside a part).  Yes it is going away eventually which is too bad as it is a breeze to devekio and debug on the fly.  The controls are old and clunky so visually is looks rough.

4) VBA code inside a part file.  Same as above but not so bright IMHO as part has to be loaded for the program to run.

5) ILogic.  At first blush iLogic looks to have the same flaws as #4 above.  Recently however I've seen ways to launch external iLogic programs that are not bound to a part.  Further you can call VB.NET compiled DLL's for forms or entire programs.  I find this much  easier than trying to develop an Add-In.

ILogic is the new kid on block so I would look for new capabilities in the near future.  Hopefully they will provide friendlier ways of launching programs.  Having to right click ans select "Run" from the iLogic list is just plain lame.  It should be a single click on the Rule.

Message 9 of 9
kmiller

Anyone know if they have fixed the issue with the templates to install in VB Express 2010 with the release of service pack 1 for inventor 2012?  I did not see anything in the readme.  Kind of at a point here to decide if I should stick with 2008 VB Express or go with 2010.  Will be working on win 7 64-bit machine.  If it's not fixed will probably just run with 2008 still.

Thanks,

Katie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report