Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor Wizards for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 express ?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
4287 Views, 13 Replies

Autodesk Inventor Wizards for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 express ?

Hello,

I am a novice in Inventor customization. I have already  MS visual c# and vb.net 2010 express editions installed on my computer. As you know 2010 express editions have to be installed as a separate software.

I decided to try new MS 2012 visual studio express edition the other day. 2012 version is very comfortable to use because it allows to make vb.net, c#, C++ projects. Actually I use c# as the main language to study and vb.net as the secondary. The problem is that Autodesk Inventor Wizard installation package (Inventor 2013) doesn't work with MS visual studio 2012 express edition, therefore there is no Inventor AddIn template in Visual studio project creation window.

Does anybody has any ideas how to install Autodesk Inventor Wizard from Autodesk SDK package over MS Visual studio 2012? Is there any manual approaches to do that and how it will work?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rjay75
in reply to: Anonymous

I recently was trying to do the same thing with Visual Studio 2012. Got it to extract the template an install.

Download the DeveloperTools msi. Extract the files using this method. http://superuser.com/questions/307678/how-to-extract-files-from-msi-package.

Copy the file VCSInventorAddInTemplate2013.zip to this location C:\Users\{USER NAME}\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#.

When you restart Visual Studio the template should be there. 

Message 3 of 14
rjay75

One more thing. Go to the properties of the project.

Change the command on the build events tab in the Post build events command line.

call "%VS100COMNTOOLS%vsvars32"
mt.exe -manifest "$(ProjectDir){Project Name}.X.manifest" -outputresource:"$(TargetPath)";#2

call "%VS110COMNTOOLS%vsvars32"
mt.exe -manifest "$(ProjectDir){Project Name}.X.manifest" -outputresource:"$(TargetPath)";#2

This is the line that copies the addin manifest.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: rjay75

Thank you so much for help Thomas!

Message 5 of 14
DavinciCad

Hello all

for everyones benefit, I have done just the steps above and am now sharing the content.

Enjoy

Pat

http://www.blackbox-orange.com/downloads/Inventor2013AddInForVisualStudio2012Templates.zip

Message 6 of 14
Mark_Wigan

thanks!

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 7 of 14
Dwhelm

How do you change the command if you are using Express? Thanks.
Message 8 of 14
DavinciCad
in reply to: Dwhelm

I am not shure to understand the question.  It should work just fine with VS express.

What are you trying to achieve?

Pat

Message 9 of 14
Dwhelm
in reply to: DavinciCad

Im trying to use VS 2012 express. As far as I can tell there is no way to access post build command lines. I have attached a pic of my compile tab of the properties page.

Message 10 of 14
rjay75
in reply to: Dwhelm

After some searching it looks like that option may not be in the express version. What that command is doing is copying the Test2.X.manifest file to be in the same location as the compiled dll. If you manually copy that file to the dll location you should be fine.

Alternate

You can open the Test2.vbproj file (that may be what your projects file name is) in external text editor and modify the line

<PostBuildEvent>call "%25VS100COMNTOOLS%25vsvars32"
			mt.exe -manifest "$(ProjectDir)CratingAddIn.X.manifest" -outputresource:"$(TargetPath)";#2</PostBuildEvent>

It may be towards the end of the file. Clost the project before changing the file.

Message 11 of 14
DavinciCad

Alternatively...

Option 1- You may want to modify your addin file to point towards your bin\debug folder of your project.  it does the job just weel during development.

Option 2- you may to redirect your debug output file to your addin location and leave your addin file intact.

both ways work great.

Cheers

Pat

Message 12 of 14
Dwhelm
in reply to: DavinciCad

Cool. Looks like I'm in buisness. Thanks guys.

Message 13 of 14
CadUser46

Just installed VS Community 2013 (ver12) but using template for VS11.  Took me a while to find this answer.

Thanks rjay

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 14 of 14
^_^clovis^_^

Hello Thomas,

It's already an old discussion but the subject is 100% related to my problem. I've started to move from vba to vb.net with vb.net 2012 express and I'm encountering some problem. I can't figure out where the problem is. Would you be kind to point me to the right direction ? Thanks

vb.netError.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report