Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto run macro on pressing "SAVE" or "NEW"

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
isocam
685 Views, 3 Replies

Auto run macro on pressing "SAVE" or "NEW"

I have created an "addin" to monitor the "SAVE" & "NEW" button press on Inventor.

What is the possibility of AutoDesk including this feature to the next release, or better still, creating a "patch" so that inventor can be upgraded to do it automatically, without the need to write an "addin"?

For Example,

If the user presses the "SAVE" button, AutoDesk Inventor would automatically look to see if a macro called "OnSave" exists. If it does, it "runs" the macro, if it does not exist, it works exactly as Inventor does now. This also would work in a similar way when pressing the "NEW" button.

Does anybody agree that this would be a good feature to add???

AutoDesk, can you please comment on my request?

Many thanks in advance!!!!

IsoCAM

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
matt_jlt
in reply to: isocam

I'm pretty sure that this feature was just removed in 2014. All versions up until then could do this. You have to put the "On Save" macro inside the document module.

I'm assuming they intend on iLogic replacing that type of function. Just set the rule to run on save and put it inside your template part. Alternatively you can have the ilogic rule auto-run and call up your macro. Not the nicest way but it will work in 2014 and onwards (as far as i know).

Regards, Matt.

Message 3 of 4
isocam

Brian Edkins, from Autodesk stated that users should not use the macros associated with documents.

The modification that I am proposing will be "hard coded" into AutoDesk Inventor's software so that it looks for the macros whenever the "SAVE" or "NEW" buttons are pressed.

Can anybody,from Autodesk, state if this could be either incorporated in new releases or as a patch.

If it can be done as a "software patch" I will be willing to pay for the patch as it will save me creating a addinfor inventor!

Looking forward to your reply!!!

Regards

IsoCAM

Message 4 of 4
xiaodong_liang

Hi isocam,

1. In the past, auto macro is one alternative which does not need an addin. However, as can severely impact Inventor performance, and pose a possible security risk.

2. The suggested alternative to auto macros is an add-in. Add-ins don't have the performance and security issues of auto macros and provide much better source control.  

3. The last is iLogic trigger event. You just need to convert your code to iLogic, select the event you want to monitor. When the relevant events are invoked, the iLogic is fired. This is the best way for your requirement. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report