Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addin does not load on some PCs - how to debug such case

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
hawas82
450 Views, 3 Replies

Addin does not load on some PCs - how to debug such case

Hello,

I'm having problem with my Inventor Addin which loads correctly on some PCs and doesn't on others.

I have even situation that on one VM it works fine and on another cloned VM problem appears.

My addin is visible in the Addin list in Inventor but it is always unloaded.

I'm using Inventor 2013

Is there a way to debug such problem or see some log file where load error will be described?

Best regards,

Kamil

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
adam.nagy
in reply to: hawas82

Hi,

Maybe some component your AddIn relies on cannot be found or for some reason your code inside the Activate method throws an exception.

If you could have Visual Studio on that PC as well to debug into the code when it's loading that could be useful - put a breakpoint at the beginning of the Activate method. If you are initializing some global variables it could be useful to move that inside the Activate method so that if anything goes wrong there, then that will happen after hitting your breakpoint.

If it's a missing component then the Process Monitor utility could be useful which can show what files and registry entries a given process (e.g. Inventor) is looking at and if it fails to find what it's searching for.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Cheers,

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 3 of 4
hawas82
in reply to: adam.nagy

Hello Adam,

Thank you for the replay and your advice to use Process Monitor.

I have compared what is going on on PCs on which my Addin loads and on those where it doesn't and i have found differences.

I'm developing for Inventor 2013 which is deployed with Autodesk.Inventor.Interop.dll v17, but for some reason my solution has referenced v18.

It was working on those PCs which had in GAC v18 and didn't on those with v17 only.

After correcting references in my solution it works perfectly.

Best regards,

Kamil

Message 4 of 4
adam.nagy
in reply to: hawas82

Nice work, Kamil. 🙂

And thanks for sharing the solution.

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report