Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 64 bit VBA crashing on program launch randomly

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
Gruff
1943 Views, 42 Replies

2014 64 bit VBA crashing on program launch randomly

My users are reporting that 2014 64 bit VBA crashes on program launch randomly.

I have 12 to 14 apps written in VBA.  Randomly they crash when the user trys to run them.

Sometimes they load and work fine other times they crash inventor without reporting an error.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: Gruff

Hi Gruff,

There is not a specific comment on such behavior without a concrete sample. What I could suggest is:
Add error checking process in the VBA code. Dump the error info if any. Thus you can know in which step the error occurred.
Check if the issue happens with specific document. Sometimes the specific model/data would cause the failure.
Check if the issue happens with specific workflow. e.g. it may work well if the user runs your app in a sequence. But it may fail if he runs in another kind of sequence.
If it crashed Inventor, please submit the crash report to Autodesk. We can take a look if there is any clue.

Message 3 of 43
matt_jlt

I have the exact same problem. It seems as though it happens when Inventor crashes it has been corrupting the vba file. After its corrupted, everytime you try and run inventor it just crashes after trying to load. Its happened about 6 times so far. It is very annoying.

What I have to do to recover the vba is open it in Inventor 2013 (Strange that the previous versions of Inventor can use the vba without any issues) export all of the modules/classes/forms, then import them into a brand new blank vba.

Because I have so many modules i have resorted to keeping regular backup copies so I can just swap them out when they corrupt.

Message 4 of 43
ekinsb
in reply to: matt_jlt

Can I get a copy of one or more of these corrupted .ivb files?  This is a new issue and not one that has been reported before now.  I use VBA quite a bit and haven't seen it myself yet.  You can send them directly to me at brian.ekins@autodesk.com

There were a couple of VBA related issues.  One had to do with roaming profiles.  The other one you can test by unloading the Navisworks add-in, if you have it, and see if you still have the problem.  Both of these were identified through error reports from crashes so I suspect the issue you're seeing is different.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 5 of 43
matt_jlt
in reply to: ekinsb

Brian, I have worked out that the problem is machine specific, not sure why they are different because the machines are all from the same image and identical software + hardware.

I have submitted a crash report via Inventor crash reporting tool. If you want I can still send you the vba and dump files if necessary.

Thanks, Matt.

Message 6 of 43
Gruff

I have seen some macros that became corrupted when we were having network difficulties.

You could tell as the .ivb file was much smaller than it should have been.

Each of our engineers uses a copy of the master.ivb with their names.  

All of these .ivb files are located in a single folder in a network location.

A glance at it will show whether all files are the same size.  

Any file size outliers must be corrupted.

Currently though I see only three machines in engineeringt that are crashing as described.

We buy Dell precision machines very few are identical.

Could it be some bios setting is different?

Message 7 of 43
xiaodong_liang

Hi Gruff,

could you share more information on the configurations of the Dell machine and a demo currupted ivb file? I can forward it to our engineer team to diagnose.
Message 8 of 43
jacofiero

I had that VBA issue and a few others after upgrading to 2014.

I Installed Service Pack 1 & SP1 Update 1, both which helped the stability out.

If your file crashes Inventor immediately upon opening I don't know what to tell you.  I've had that happen once or twice and there was no saving it.  Chats with the error reporting guys revealed it was related to the default *.ivb file, and they were able to open my file on their systems by renaming that file and letting Inventor create a new one, but we didn't have the same success on this end.

Message 9 of 43
Gruff

I also installed the SP1 Update 1.

So far no crashing on macro launch.

Message 10 of 43
h.schkorwaga

Update 1 doesn't make any improvements to my installation concerning the VBA crash topic.

Is it possible that VBA macros with user forms are mor likely to crash than macros without forms?

Maybe the difference to others is that i launch my macros using a ilogic form which displays short rules as buttons...

Message 11 of 43
h.schkorwaga
in reply to: h.schkorwaga

someone here?
Message 12 of 43
Gruff

Forums typically are not live.  People answer when they get around to it.  Could be minutes or days.

Message 13 of 43
ekinsb

@h.schkorwaga wrote:

Update 1 doesn't make any improvements to my installation concerning the VBA crash topic.

Is it possible that VBA macros with user forms are mor likely to crash than macros without forms?

Maybe the difference to others is that i launch my macros using a ilogic form which displays short rules as buttons...

Do you have a VBA project that consistently demonstrates the problem that we can use to reproduce it?

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 14 of 43
matt_jlt

Hi Brian, I still have this same issue, It seems as though it corrupts the ivb file when Inventor crashes. When you try to restart Inventor it will just crash out and show an error report dialog. Have to then delete / replace the corrupt .ivb then it works fine again.
Message 15 of 43
h.schkorwaga

Hello together,

the behaviour on my installation is like Gruff explained in his initital post. Random crashes. For example: 5 times the on emacro runs fine next time INV crashes. I'm not sure but is it possible that macros with displaying user forms are more affected? Most of the time I have more documents open. Sometime it seems, that INV crashes after I close one of them and then start a macro. How I said - not sure...

I have only one large IVB-File. After crashing and restarting INV the file loads fine so I can't see that this is corrupt. I made a test and exported all code and forms and reimported them to a new IVB. Same issues.

Additionally, as I wrote in a post before, I start the Macros from a simple ilogic form with buttons targeting simple rules which only make a VBA-call

Should I send my IVB to you Brian? Then I hope you can reproduce the Problem or find an error with the file.

Thank you for your help!

BR

Hel

Message 16 of 43
ACEDeSmedt

Does someone know a solution to this problem?

This is becoming one of the most annoying features of Autodesk Inventor 2014 and it obstructs my work drastic!!

regards,

Klaas De Smedt

=================================
If this is the solution, push the solution button 😉 (and maybe some kudos)
Autodesk Product Design Suit - Ultimate edition (Subscription)
Message 17 of 43
h.schkorwaga
in reply to: ACEDeSmedt

*Bump* 😞
Message 18 of 43

We have a customer with this problem also. Apologies for hopping on existing post.

Attached .ivb file causes Inventor 2014 SP1 to crash when Inventor is started (if it is the default .ivb file), or when it is loaded into VBA editor (if it is not the default ivb file).

Can anyone advise?

PS - the attached pdf needs renaming to .ivb!

Message 19 of 43
ludesroc
in reply to: CadlineSupport

*le bump* We have the exact same problem @ work here. the IVB project will work fine , then sometimes after doing a save on the ivb project, inventor will crash and any attempt to load anything from that IVB project will instantly crash inventor. The only work around I've found is to load the IVB project on a different computer and save it on the new computer. Sometimes it will fix the problem right away, sometimes It can take multiple attempts. A fix or a status update would be appreciated since the only work around that we found is pretty unreliable. Thanks!
Ludesroc
Message 20 of 43
redbeast
in reply to: ludesroc

I have exactly same problem. It's happening quite often. And also makes Inventor unstable.
My "solution" to temporary fix this is to "run as administrator" Inventor then open VBA editor, do some small changes and save it again. Sometimes it helps sometimes not.
It is really annoying. I think it has something to do with VBA 7 and 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report